1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you still get "rich" racing bikes in America?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? You could easily retire on 2.5 million. How in the world are you getting only 40-45k off of that? Even in the bad times the dude that handles my piddly amount conservatively would be getting 125k, good years more like 250-300...

track wagon and The Great One like this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I disagree - all income is from sponsors so if they're paying for your ride then you are being paid.

If you do it right and work hard at it while not blowing your money - you know like every job :D - I think there are a couple dozen who could retire from their racing income when their careers are done.

The Great One likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If I could get to a half million I'd be happy retiring or just working part time.

SpeedyE, track wagon and Dragginass like this.
  4. I didn’t say one “couldn’t retire”. Again, if you follow the conversation after that, I was only pointing out that for someone in their mid-20’s, 2.5mil isn’t a lot. You could retire, but you would need some help making that 2.5mil make money for you.

The $40-45k number came from someone in their mid 20’s, living another 60ish years.

2,500,000/60 = 41.6k

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've lived off of less than 50k a year my entire life, factor in the house being paid for in a few years and it'll be even easier to live off less than I bring in now...

Y'all seem to think retirement is living like a baller :crackup:

SpeedyE, track wagon and Dragginass like this.
  6. Not me. They would be friends with me. :D

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ummmmm - so you don't have your retirement money invested in any manner?

He'd never have to touch the 2.5 and if he didn't spend all of the income from it - which he shouldn't have to if he's smart - that 2.5 will keep growing. It is far from a set amount he must leave alone and just withdraw from....

track wagon and The Great One like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

How about minimal risk :D

9. Once again, as has already been discussed, I simply threw that number out for easy math to illustrate that isn’t a lot of money in and of itself.

Which is also why I used the assumption that he hasn’t needed to spend a dime of that $2.5mil to live on all these years, and didn’t talk about taxes, or inflation, or insurance costs, or anything else.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure thing there, Ranger Smith! :D

This guy thought they liked him too. :crackup:

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And I'm saying it absolutely IS a lot of money in and of itself. It isn't to you given your current income if you want to be able to piss away money like you do now but to most people it is more than a lot of money. With 2.5 million Evelyne and I could retire AND spend more per year than we do now. So that is a shit ton of money to us.

SpeedyE and track wagon like this.
  12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Your age and housing situation helps your scenario with this a lot. If you didn't have a house you like that was almost paid off it definitely wouldn't seem as doable. But I agree it is possible to live off the 2mill

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Current rates have been much lower than that for way longer than anyone has known about SARS-COV2.

If our hypothetical superbike racer retired today with $2.5 million in the bank, hoping to live off the interest, he would be eating into the principal for quite a while unless he lived somewhere near where they took that photo that RD400Dude posts occasionally.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Kinda like the peacocks?

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Wooosh, another point missed. Just how would you reliably make 50 grand off a million today? Is it possible? Sure. Year after year? Inquiring minds want to know.

16. Did I mention you and Evelyne in my post, or even say anything about people in your age group?

We went through all of this last night, and I explained the context of my post more than once.

It was a quick post on my phone, illustrating how JUST $2.5mil might not be enough for someone in their mid-20’s to immediately retire.

Once again, which is why I didn’t get into taxes, inflation, stocks, or any of that other shit.

If I had any idea that people were going to take it out of context for the sake of arguing, then I would have brought out the laptop and made a long post with all kinds of math, factoring in costs of living, inflation, interest rates, etc, and I would have given multiple examples of how someone might, or might not be able to retire, depending on how smart they are with their money.

It was a simple post about $x / life expectancy = $x per year. Nothing more.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Racer retiring today would have a retirement time a smidge longer than what you guys are looking at though.

noles19 likes this.
  18. :crackup:

Damn I wish I could see a video of that.

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

upload_2020-10-16_13-21-18.png

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even with the house payment I could have easily lived my life just as I did off of my salary the last 20 years from 2 - 2.5 invested - even with the downturn in 08.