1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Permanent’ travel trailer question

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Oct 13, 2020.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I am in the process of setting up my mountaintop retreat. The bulldozer man is putting me an access road in, along with a house site and a septic system. I'm dragging a camper up the hill when he gets done. The local power company will run electricity to a travel trailer after it is physically connected to a septic system. I don't think that would be an option with a shed or a storage container. Once I have a place to lay down and a way to make coffee, I'm going to order a pile of dove tailed logs and start stacking them up. Anyone here have experience with log cabins?

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I have tons...but its been a few years...

[​IMG]

auminer, beechkingd and brex like this.
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Picture that on top of an isolated mountain, just a bit bigger and with a grumpy old man and his dog drinking coffee on the porch.

R Acree and ChemGuy like this.
  4. Skrawny

Skrawny Well-Known Member

That's south dumbass, 5 minutes from my house.

Fishing is good north of 8!!!

5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Power is available. Haven't even checked into cost as up to this point I was still narrowing down which area I wanted to be in.

6. Scotty87

Lol yes sir, but not by much!

7. Scotty87

Dunbar/Pembine area. Still waiting on word from a few properties over towards Sparta/La Crosse, but it's pretty price-prohibitive over there. I have friends with property in the Crivitz/Pembine area also and that appeals to me.

Sprinky likes this.
  8. Scotty87

Checked into it, transport costs are fucking bananas.

RRP and R1M370 like this.
  9. Scotty87

This is what I'm leaning towards, especially after this thread. Travel trailer seems like inviting trouble. I had only considered it in the fact that it would be easier to get the chick to come up with me if there was a toilet. Composting thing might mitigate that, have to do some research. Eh, I really don't care if she goes up there anyway!

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I have a friend who bought land, built a pole building. Installed a well and septic and ran them into a 3/4 bath in the pole building (thru the slab). He only heats the bath.

Later he built a house on the property to retire in. Re-routed the septic and well into the house. No wasted investment.

jrsamples likes this.
  11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Sounds like there’s an abundance of wild brown fish to be had... :Poke:

And like I told the damn schoolteacher, water flows south. :moon:

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Nile?
    Lienies makes some good beers (also a bunch of not so good beers). The brewery is only about 30 minutes northeast of me.

13. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I have seen people convert shipping containers to hunting shacks. Easy to lock up, and more rodent proof then a trailer.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I agree, build something now you will use later, barn, garage, shed, and live in it for a while. Dragging a bunch of junk up there can be a problem later.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have been to Pembine and there may or may not have been a fight where some locals got their asses kicked by 1 guy (not me). It is a beautiful area, but not much going on. I have lived in LaCrosse and Sparta and that area has some great riding and lots of deer and turkey. In addition, Lacrosse has Octoberfest.
    I live north of Menomonie and and there are some nice areas around here, too and it is close to Lienenkugel's and some great riding areas, too. We also have plenty of beer, fish, turkey and deer.

16. Scotty87

Yep I know all about Octoberfest, I went to UW-L. I’d love to get something out that way for all the reasons you stated, but it is pricey.

17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm in sparta myself. Been here about 18 months now

18. Scotty87

Beautiful area. Big goddamn deer out there. Great street riding too.

19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep. Came here from TX and the deer and turkey here are giants compared to TX. I'm trying to hold onto my riding season as the weather changes. I'm good into the 40's as long as the sun is out. 50's would be better.

20. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Be sure to secure it, remove wheels or tether. There stealing rv trailers lately..

Your area may be different but in western NC there disappearing regularly