1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you still get "rich" racing bikes in America?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Oct 15, 2020.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

theres all kinds of paths to take but really depends on the individual. Kind of hard to put a real career on hold part timing to go racing.

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I think Cam saw how well Gerloff is doing and started to realize he’s not getting any younger...time to make an attempt at furthering his greatness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

I’m looking forward to seeing Cam push himself. He really is a top talent as told by just about anyone who has raced head to head with him.

Newyork likes this.
  4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Pshaaa, I raced him once in WERA back in 2007 and I smoked him off the start! :Poke: :crackup:

5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

I disagree on nutball, more every man than anything else. I’ve known quite few personalities over years that have his same passion. Video, Guy related so...

6. Did you even read my post?

7. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

If we take your figures, the one thing you aren't accounting for is the interest Cam has earned and will continue to earn on it even if he takes the ultra conservative approach he is practically guaranteed to see a return of 3-5% with no risk.

That's $75-$125K/year in income generated from nothing. Realistically he would see more like 5-7% with next to no risk so he'd be then at $125K-$176K/yr in passive income and that is VERY comfortable money when you have no mortgage, no student loans, and the very real possibility of sponsorship cash continuing on for many years to come for a guy like Cam - appearances, advertising, marketing campaigns, guest instructor spots, yada yada...

Mortgage free and a lifelong income of $150+k/yr without working - 99% of us would call that a win.

All this of course means he keeps his 2.5 mill locked down and can start to draw on that as income any time he wants as well to supplement his interest income.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Younglion responded better than I could've.

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I was told that 90% of the paddock pays for their ride, whether from own pocket or sponsors. 9.5% have a free ride and the only money they make is from the purse. 0.5% are actually getting paid. That 0.5% might be 1 or 2 People. So to answer your question... no, there really is a slim chance in hell to make a career and retire racing motorcycles

Senna likes this.
  10. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

As for OP's original question - the trend seems to be less paid rides and those paid rides are paying less. Take away 2020 Covid data where we all went nuts and purchased every damn toy made by Japan/Italy/Germany and the recent figures have shown a steady decline in bike/parts/accessories sales and a waning interest by Joe Public to watch on TV or attend in person races. All that means much less sponsorship funding of course.

Get rich? ...maybe more like "become comfortable and have a helluva 7-10 year career with loads of memories" going forward.

11. Oh godamn. And look how long his fucking post is too.

I knew all of that, but there was no way I was going to type all that out and do the math on my phone. Which is the same reason I didn’t get into taxes, or how much money he has needed to live off of over the course of those 5 years, or inflation.

My only point is that $2.5m isn’t a lot of money in and of itself.

We have this conversation a lot of work. Guys will be like “if I won $2mil, I’d be like fuck this and quit”. But for someone in their 20’s, $2mil doesn’t stretch real far without some good help.

younglion, Gino230 and tl1098 like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

We're saying the same thing, broseph :beer:

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

2 mill would be 10 years of high senority longshore man work with copious OT factored in (10+ hrs week). Factor in another 10 years for retirement... 4 mill for 20 yrs of work is upper middle class.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I get the feeling that he doesn't really care that much about money, if it's something interesting to him he'd probably do it for nothing.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Haven't you heard? Stock market returns are running around 100% per year, minimum. Ask any 22 year old RobinHood app investor. $2m is PLENTY.

track wagon, jksoft, 5axis and 4 others like this.
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

2 Million is one night on the town for me..... Pocket Change Bitches!

Anyone got some take offs for sale?

track wagon, 418, HPPT and 6 others like this.
  17. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Y'all crazy. I'm in my 30s and I could retire on 1 million tomorrow. Live debt free and suddenly you realize you don't need all that much.....

SpeedyE and Banditracer like this.
  18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

In a Van down by the river?

ChemGuy likes this.
  19. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Nope, in my already paid for house.

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Ben has helped a few riders get to Europe- Garrett is one of them.

I heard Cam was offered the same deal as Garrett last year and didn't want it. Something has changed.