1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you still get "rich" racing bikes in America?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Oct 15, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm still puzzled by Cam Beaubier's ballsy career move. If they cut his pay so much that it's now an attractive path to leave the top superbike ride in America to go to a Moto 2 team that's not yet one of the most established (for lack of a better word) ones, can a young guy getting into MotoAmerica superbikes today still dream of retiring on that career income?

The '90s-2000s look more and more like a crazy bountiful era from the rearview mirror.

Shocker, Newyork and cav115 like this.
  2. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I think it’s more or I want to see what I got more than pay.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Short answer. NO

Long answer Noooooooo

Ra.Ge. Raptor, 5axis, Ducti89 and 9 others like this.
  4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Only if they have a major backer like monster energy, and ride for one of about 3 teams. from what I know anyway.

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Tough question. But maybe you go to the show until you can make the show come to you.

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Yes. But you apparently have to start off really rich. :D

backbone, auminer, cha0s#242 and 4 others like this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't get that. :confused:

8. I think he meant Cam’s motivation might be more about seeing how well he can do in Moto2, rather than salary.

jonathanp, Circacee and cav115 like this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, that's a good question. Right now I'd say no.

But I'd expand that a bit to include motogp and WSBK. I'd say there are less then 20 guys in the world making "I'll never have to work again after I'm done" money anymore.
    Someone like Crutchlow who I'd imagine made good money is one who could retire and not have to do dick ever again but I can't help but think he's also one bad divorce or a bad investment in a Brazilian fruit farm away from having to lay bricks but I'm not his accountant or business manager so who knows and I might be totally wrong.

BSB I'm surprised some of those guys don't work a job or two just to pay the electric bill.

track wagon likes this.
  10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Wanna become a millionaire in motorcycle racing??

Start out a billionaire.

track wagon likes this.
  11. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Even Guy Martin is a truck mechanic.

backbone likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I am sure that's true. But would he have made the switch if he was making 2007 superbike money in America? Hell, or even whatever he was making 4-5 years ago?

13. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

He probably heard from Ben Spies that the series is done so he is jumping ship while there are still a few rides out there.

Shocker, Dragginass, stk0308 and 4 others like this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

But he's a nutball who loves being a truck mechanic. :D

Plus, he didn't let the teams pay him to ride for them (at least in the case of the roads).

backcountryme likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, but racing the roads in Ireland and the Isle of Man is a totally different kind of career. I don't know that any of those guys expect to retire from that.

16. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Define retire.

t500racer and Gorilla George like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I realized that it could be interpreted two different ways as I was writing it. But my first meeting was "not have to work again after leaving the sport."

18. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Just saying, he is one of the most famous and liked racers in the world, and he still has a day job.

HPPT likes this.
  19. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Is he still? I've seen him in a lot of daredevil type things lately, makes me think he's riding that fame train until it runs out (not that I fault him for it).

20. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Talking about Cam specifically, he should be fine. 5x Superbike championships, factoring in win/title bonuses and endorsements, and he should be set for life. Maybe not hookers and blow in Hollywood with the Kardashians every weekend set for life, but he'll be just fine if he's been smart with his money. I can only assume he has been since he comes across as such a level-headed guy.