1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Has anyone ever found a used shock for these things, or is everyone paying $500 for the Ohlins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aftriathlete likes this.
  2. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

I bought a YSS shock on Ebay. Preload adjustable only, but good quality. It was about $180 shipped iirc.

3. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

RacingBros Mono was the sweet spot for me. IFP and rebound adjustment. Seems quality. $250 I think. Bought it a long time ago and riding it back to back with the Ohlins offering - no real noticeable difference.

aftriathlete likes this.
  4. Yes.

Because Grom.

cav115 and Past Glory like this.
  5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

just ordered a flashed ECU and cam
    hello 10k rev limiter

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

The 500lb gorilla has you beat with a 14-71 blower on his.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

cut me some slack. i just picked up a Grom 10 weeks ago

Gorilla George and Ducti89 like this.
  8. :crackup:

9. aftriathlete

That’s a really good price. FWIW when I was in the market for a shock earlier this year the Racing Bros mono could not be found for that price. Maybe a Black Friday deal could get you in the ballpark. I was interested in the RB stuff though.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just to close the loop on this - these pieces are high quality as all hell.

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

anyone else do the aftermarket clutch cover to remove the oil spinner?
    looking to get this, stuffer clutch springs, and an upgraded oil pump.

12. sharky nrk

yes and I highly recommend it - for maintenance ease alone

13. sharky nrk

yeah I think I got mine on a sale event, not black friday but a sale that knocked the price a bit - I think I just looked and they were $40-50 more now

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Does it just spin the motor up quicker from less rotational mass? I assume it’s not doing anything to the top speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. sharky nrk

i can't honestly say I noticed much performance wise, I did it just for the filter changes. And while I was in there I did the springs and plate because I didn't want to go back in and do it again anytime soon lol

16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Both Kitaco and Takagawa do all those items. I got the Kitaco clutch cover and springs (they were first with the cover) and a Takagawa oil pump (they were first with that item). And get the billit clutch spring star, as the stock cast one is too weak to deal with the heavier springs and will end up failing. You are correct in that the motor spins up quicker, but it made no difference at all in top speed. It does take away a bit of the "smoothness" of the engine transition from on-off-on throttle, as the loss of the extra rotating mass ends the momentum it had before. You get used to it, but it is noticeable.

17. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

looks hot!

19. aftriathlete

I did the Kitaco clutch cover, 60% stiffer clutch springs, billet clutch plate, and Takegawa oil pump recently too. For being 60% stiffer the clutch almost feels like a normal clutch now, it was so way damn soft with the stock springs.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  20. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

this is exactly what i'm getting. did you run into any difficulties finding oil filters? what springs did you get, i've seen a variety of options.
    the ones i was looking at are on Hard Racing.