1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer advice sought

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Oct 13, 2020.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I did my first race as a paraplegic at Road Atlanta Oct 3rd and everything went great. I rented a UHaul trailer to tow the bike and it was fine but the whole pick up/drop off process is kind of a PITA and that thing is huge for just one 360 lb race bike. I've come to the conclusion that a stand up folding trailer is the way to go. I want something small, light and folds so I can store it in my garage. I've done a lot of research and come down to these three options. Looking for feedback from the almighty beeb. Keep in mind that I won't be using it all that much. It's a lot of logistics and support to work out being a paraplegic and racing. I need help loading, unloading, etc. I'll also be a fair weather racer. No wet, no hot, no cold. So, I foresee between 3 to 6 race weekends a year. Realistically, probably 2 in the spring and 2 in the fall. These are my options:

A. Kendon Go series single. $1800 new shipped to my door. Best quality, torsion beam suspension. But, $1800 is a lot for limited use. Floor space consumed 27" x 72"

B. Used Kendon. They hold their value really well. I've found a couple 2 or 3 rail versions between $1400 to $1700. I'm not opposed to a two or 3 rail version. Sure would be nice to find a single used one. Floor space consumed 27" x 86"

C. Ace folding trailer sold by USA Trailer which is local to me. $995. Folds up really small. 12" wheels. Old reviews from back in 2013/2014 had some complaints. Current reviews seem to be positive. They did upgrade the wheels to aluminum and beefed up the axles/bearings a few years ago. My main complaint with this trailer is NO suspension at all. Also, can't really carry anything else on it except maybe strap a couple of 2 gallon gas cans to it. There's several Youtube videos out there on it. Floor space consumed 24" x 55"

C. Harbor Freight 48"x96" folding trailer. Has 12" wheels. Only $350. Reviews are actually surprisingly good. I would add two 48"x48" aluminum diamond plate to each folding section and then bolt on a Pit Bull TRS. This trailer does have leaf spring suspension and then using the TRS, the bikes suspension won't be compressed. So, trailer with tax and add a spare wheel $425 + TRS $310 + quality diamond plate around $200 (got a friend who buys metals for his fabrication shop) = $935. Floor space consumed 24" x 63"

The Harbor Freight option kinda sounds like the best option but the most work with assembly and modifications. People take most of one day to assemble it. Longer for me doing it from the wheelchair. Then gotta add the plate and TRS but I can find help with that. I would have all winter to do it as well. Also, Options A and B still require the use of tie down straps and compressing the suspension. With a TRS, even a neighbor who knows nothing about bikes but is strong enough to push it up the ramp onto the trailer could load it.

What sayeth the beeb?

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’ll never regret a Kendon. They ride nice and are made nice, compared to anything else in that class of trailer. With your limited use and indoor storage, you’ll get most of your money back on it. I’d buy the new one and not look back.

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I did the harbor freight option for a couple of years. Worked great and had no regrets though I'm sure the kendons are nicer.

With a trs they are pretty dang convenient. It does take some work to set up though depending on the level of involvement you want. Here's a thread I made a few years ago with my experience. This was pre-trs and ignore the stupid verticle 2x4s I put it. Dumb idea and you don't need them.

I didn't bother with diamond plate and just did the ole paint with some sand in it. Worked great but will need the occasional paint touch up every other year or so.

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=206161#/topics/206161

4. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I have a little 4-footer harbor freight, that I modified. To 6.5' I've put about 5000 miles on it.... Hauled everything from my RZ350 my TRI-Z/GSXR. Sofas , cabinets.I can't really say anything about it from the underdog point O' view had it up to a hundred miles an hour usually cruise around 70....
    IMG_20201013_234205.jpg
    However without a lot of extra work such as welding it together / repacking the bearings/rewire/paint You are FAR BETTER off buying a better trailer. the cost of diamond plate alone is probably $400+
    The latch is relatively weak and it's my second latch plus there are loose and very noisy I have had it pop off twice. (never with a bike on it though). . It's doable on a budget you just have to pay special attention and be meticulous about assembly in detail and don't drive like me.
    IMG_20201013_234310.jpg
    But seriously I would absolutely recommend a better trailer.. the level of detail and work required you're spending the same money for a nice used dedicated quality bike trailer.
    IMG_20201013_234240.jpg
    I totally understand the concept of folding It up that's what I bought this one for it stands up in the corner of the garage...... But my advice to you.. Ya don't need any problems out on the road, be safe buy a better trailer

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine has the same HF folding trailer and has towed all over with it the last 2 years. No complaints. I helped him with assembly. We used 3/4" pressure treated plywood for the decking, with a wheel chock and anchor points. Inexpensive but effective. Light kit is still holding up. I'd imagine it would be even better with a TRS.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I believe you can add 15" wheels to the HF for fairly cheap so you're not over speeding the 12" wheels. Especially if you plan on doing highway droning.
    The folding option is kind of a meh. I think I would rather store it on its side via removable L brackets on the side of a garage or some kind of hoist system
    in the garage wall or ceiling.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Where are you located? I've got a HF trailer I never use (upgraded to 13" wheels, has a spare, etc.). Had it setup with two TRS and was my track hauler for a few years but bought a truck now and can't see myself ever using it again.

I'd let it go for a song if you're interested.

50Joe likes this.
  8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Sending PM

9. This old Rz

If you can bare to read my long posts... here is some more advice on the HF trailers.
    1.) repacking wheel bearings they do not come packed with the proper grease from the factory it's kind of an ordeal but do it once and you won't have to do it again.
    2.) yes the larger wheels like mine I have had no problems with him and believe me I have abused this thing off road and on.
    3.) Keep an eye on the latch or upgraded to a better one.
    4.) You must absolutely make sure your load is distributed over the axle as it should be...
    If I do not get my load set right it whips all over the place. On mine almost all the way or most of it wants to be at the front axle or in front of it. Mine is a 4' w a longer deck.
    5.) The springs on these things are pretty radical their way over sprung for what theblisd is on these lil things.. so they are bouncy you can probably take one leaf out which I plan on doing.

6.) I flipped my axle so I could lower it 2" in. Made easier for me to load my bike.
    7.) Due to the Bolt together design, they bounce & rattle so much that standard filament bulbs 10 go out often, so do yourself a favor and just swap to 2 a L. E.D. kit.
    8.) The bearingsare not standard sizes , Harbor Freight does not sell nor support any replacement parts I'd recommend brand new bearings I got mine from a guy on the internet.
    9.) These Lil trailers when backing up will whip on you in 4 feet and jack knife if you're not paying attention... If you do not have a load to see the trailer backing up it is near impossible. I would recommend a small whip flag so that you can see where the trailer is otherwise you are guaranteed to end up with fender damage on both sides of your car...lol

It may sound like a lot to do, but in reality it's just basic maintenance, and easy modifications.
    I can't fault these little trailers for The Price, people have laughed at me in person and driving by criticized it... But I've got thousands of miles on it.
    I'm very hard on it the only things that have broken are because of my negligence.
    Make yourself a checklist do most of these things driver responsible I think you'd have a winner.
    But coming from an owner of one of these for 7 years like myself I'd be hard-pressed to put a $10,000 + machine on it unless it was insured....
    The Pitbull TRS stands seem to be pretty awesome....if they truly hold the bike as secure as it sounds and you can take some of the bounce out of that trailer that's sweet

50Joe likes this.
  10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I've had a Kendon 2-rail forever (mine originally cost $1600 new if that gives you any idea) and really love it. It has stayed nearly pristine because I'm able to keep it in the garage. I've replaced the caster wheels and tires, and that's about it.

That said, I thought this Baxley (the guys that make the sport chock) trailer was pretty interesting (https://www.baxleycompanies.com/sb001/). You end up loading your bike nearly flat on the ground. A bit heavier and less maneuverable (when not trailering), but has some nice design features to help with this (IE a winch). Just something else to look at. Not worth trading my Kendon for, though. If I trailered a heavy tourer or some such frequently, I would definitely consider one.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wasn’t impressed with the one I encountered. It seems great, in theory, but, the execution and operation left me “Meh!”.

12. This old Rz

Few years ago I bought some RZ parts off a guy in Arizona and he he had this trailer it was pretty awesome... I have no idea what these cost but..... It's a easy one-man operation he had two bikes on his.

Found them there in Colorado 100% American parts and components and completely assembled in America starting at $ 3600.00

ducnut likes this.