1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printers

Discussion in 'General' started by nd4spd, Aug 8, 2020.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I changed the design a bit to print with the carbon filament to add a bit more strength and and to allow space for the harness, which I overlooked initially, but this is the rough idea.

DASHBACK.jpg DASHSTAY.jpg

noles19 likes this.
  2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

That's not how you want to print the model for threaded features.

If I'm OK with just threading into plastic, I'll put a hole slightly under the clearance drill size and make sure I have 3 walls on the setting. Then drill and tap.
    If I want metal threads, I'll cut a hex shape in the 3D model and press a nut in there. Just take the screw and pull the hex in until it bottoms out. Much easier than gluing a threaded insert. Don't have a picture handy to show what I mean.

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. metricdevilmoto

The OEM cluster is a coarse threaded piece of hardware into (ABS) plastic. That was my thinking on replicating the design. However, you make a good point that I could just use a nut and bolt. There's literally no load on this piece of hardware other than to secure it through the rubber grommet in the fairing stay. Unless, of course, an unplanned inverted flight path should befall the motorcycle.

I'm unfamiliar with the "3 walls" setting. You mean the thickness of the walls printed? Is it a universal setting or something that could be applied locally?

4. metricdevilmoto

Here's the new model. Little bit more support and I changed the hole diameters to a looser tolerance to hopefully make threading a bit easier and to allow room for the harness. I'll give it a go tomorrow. @YoshiHNS does what you're talking about happen at the slicing or modeling stage? Slicing, I would imagine.

Attached Files:

5. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

@metricdevilmoto I do it at the model level. The 3 wall setting i think is called perimeters.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Oh and for a crazy level of control Simplify3D. You can alter a lot of parameters though it is more complicated than Cura.

7. metricdevilmoto

Thanks. I'm going to look into that now. The last time I used software like this was AutoCad about 20 years ago in college and the vast majority of that was 2D. Aside from motorcycle geometry software, I don't have any relevant experience. I used TinkerCAD for the stuff I did today, but I thought the spatial measurements weren't that intuitive, but I wasn't going to complain because it was free to use. I don't mind spending money on real software, I just want to get the thing that does what I want, which seems pretty basic given what the hardware is capable of.

8. metricdevilmoto

@YoshiHNS since I can't attach pics in the private messages, here you go.

Attached Files:

jkraft and YoshiHNS like this.
  9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Looks great!

Oh. Side note on carbon filament. Don't bother with them other than the Nylon versions. Pretty much shown that most of the carbon/fiberglass infused materials just makes them weaker and more brittle. It's why I like using PETG unless I need something special.

You can kill a few hours easily looking at all the variations on MatterHackers to start.

10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

what filament did you use?

11. metricdevilmoto

SunTop PLA carbon fiber.

Thanks. And good to know. I'll check that out tonight.

12. sharky nrk

Got my Ender V2 built today, running a test print now. Getting the bed where I want it was harder than anticipated. Just running some PLA as well but want to get some PETG or something that can better handle bike parts

13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I printed a PETG air baffle that replaced the OEM plastic air baffle for my Ninja 650. It bolts onto the valve cover so not super hot, but not exactly low temp either. My design doesn’t block as much of the airflow to the airbox and held up great this last weekend at Indy!

14. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Petg does great at higher temps. Not so much at freezing temps. Surprised how brittle it becomes.

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

You can do different infill densities in different areas of the part. so you could do 100% infill in those areas and 15 or 20% everywhere else. I've done this on some hanging things that need a strong hook but light weight or similar mounting things like you're doing. It's a bit much to describe and I don't want to get a vacation from posting a video but if you search "3 cura slicer setting tricks for beginners" on the page "Chep" on youtube he has a good outline on how to do it. I believe its his 3rd "trick" in the video.

16. sharky nrk

that's awesome - is it something you would be willing to share?

17. Monsterdood

Sure, no sweat! I can put it up on the Prusa database for downloading. Will paste a link after I upload it.

18. sharky nrk

^^ thanks!!!!

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It looks like some printers are included in Prime Day, anyone have advice for a ~$300 printer? Or should I just get the Ender V2 and call it good?
    Prime Day Printers
    Ender V2 Upgraded

20. Monsterdood

sharky nrk likes this.