1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on SLC/Utah...

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Oct 9, 2020.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Or Been Gay?? :Poke:

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

They really missed the boat by not releasing a morning pain relieve balm. They could have called it AM Gay.

3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

SLC is nice, I visited in September. South Jordan is a nice place to settle in at, great folks all around. Definitely a Red State though Downtown SLC has a California mindset (I'm typing this from a desk in Long Beach, CA so I know).

Tooele (tuh-wil-ah) is the town down the street from UMC. About 25 min West of SLC. It's definitely your "country" style living out there and away from the hustle and bustle that SLC offers. About the church, it seems like it's more laxed nowadays. I have a few friends within your age range(and mine) that will welcome you in for a weekend so you can get to know the area. They race USBA, ride Mountain Bikes, Snowboard/Ski and live an active lifestyle.

UMC is a TITS facility. USBA (Utah Sports Bike Association) runs the racing there, with the KOM(King of the Mountain) race being the best action. Apex Trackdays runs the Friday before the race Saturday, they put on a great event. Trackstar Racing and Moto Station handle the Dunlop/Pirelli plus racebike builds there, both are great sets of people.

Do it man.

Senna likes this.
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

You live in Iowa and you're wondering if you should move to Utah?

rd400racer likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

SLC is a great area. I like it as I have some extended family there, my Great Grandparents settled there, so people usually pronounce my last name correctly. Since that name is on billboards and a city councilman has it. :D

I used to visit SLC pretty regularly seeing a customer there and it has changed a ton over the last 10-20years. Lots of growth and dilution of the LDS people. used to a pain to go to a bar...now not so much.

I would move there way before I would to Iowa.

6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Getting closer Brex, but FML, it ain't easy.

brex likes this.
  7. sdg

sdg *

Mormons are not normal. ... I have met a few I like. Vast majority, me no like. Call me what you want.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Indians put you here?

T'weren't Mormons!

9. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

When people ask me “why don’t you like Utah, it’s so beautiful” my response is “those beautiful mountains cast deep, dark shadows”

Senna likes this.
  10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

But then again my perspective might be slightly...... skewed

Senna likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Man... i love that place. i never thought i would initially, but something about it is so rad. plus all the Rampage dudes that ride there and build trails and shit. and then general store with their prickly pear ice cream. dag...

brex likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

100% agreed

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

No. It sucks. People should shun the place and stay away.

zamboiv likes this.
  14. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I’ve only been for work and pleasure. A few things, the area around SLc is amazing and I enjoy the downtown scene as well, outdoor recreation is amazing, and the LDS community are really nice folk. If you don’t go in there all hillbilly and shit you’ll realize they are really really nice people. Do I agree with their beliefs, no but I have a lot of friends that at LDS and we have a blast together.
    I guess what I’m trying to say is Utah is quite appealing to me, the lds community at nice people so don’t let the whole Utah is for LDS turn you off.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Iowa is not bad. The people here are really nice and genuine and COL of reasonable, outside of property taxes.

SLC represents significantly greater opportunity for me career-wise, and my wife and I are both tired of the brutal winters out here with very little to do. In Utah, we'd be able to pick up Skiing in the winter months. Not really a viable option out here in the flatlands.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

C'mon look at what you are missing out on. https://www.sundownmtn.com/ Dubuque IA.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Dubuque is a haul. That's a 3-hour one-way trip for me.

18. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Oddly enough, you can probably see it in the distance from where you are, though. :D

19. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Have a buddy that lived in Wisconsin for 35 years. Got the chance to move to SLC and never looked back. He loved to xc ski and mtn bike, and then took up luge and paragliding out there. He and his wife just built a home outside Paradise, UT and love it. He paddles SUP now. If you like doing anything outside, you can do it there better than much of the country.

He did state that the Mormon community is a bit odd. They tend to keep to themselves outside of work. They will not come to events or gatherings, other than ones for their community. He also said that the highest amount of plastic surgery is out there. Lots of vanity and trying to one-up each other. Which is odd for a religion, but so be it.

Senna likes this.
  20. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Yeah Utah has the most plastic surgeons than any other state. Makes it fairly affordable for good work given the competition around. Hormone wellness clinics are abound as well. TrT is huge there. When we were shopping around for some aftermarket parts for my lady we were surprised at the pricing for some of the best reviewed surgeons.