1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V7 Brakes and Forks.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamageezer, Oct 8, 2020.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Yes my friend, they were GREAT times!

2. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

You are correct except that the rules actually have said no radial brake calipers.
    Back when I actually ran V6 before it was a HW and LW class I had a Radial master cylinder and like you I have documented that it was available in the yrs that fits into that class. It's in my F3 now.
    But since they changed the rules for V7HW and the slow process of what's legal or not may not have made it's way into rule book yet.
    But before radial calipers were not legal and I believe it's due to the forks that accompany them..
    Hell I dont know my fat ass is gonna show up and race whoever enters the class and race.
    If I get beat then maybe I should have just rode harder. Lol
    But the more people we can get on grids the better.

Steven

yamageezer likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd be pretty upset if I ran V7HW and someone showed up with radial calipers and or masters. I wouldn't officially protest, but I'd hope the offender offered an after-race beer to cheer me up some. :D

2Big4Bike and VFR#52 like this.
  4. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

I bring beer to share, regardless. Unless your name is Doug Bowie. :crackup:

5. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

Shit I’d be upset if anyone didn’t have a beer to share regardless of the machinery in V7. Eboz and I race to see who can get back to the paddock and drink a beer first- and that dude is serious about it.

yamageezer and VFR#52 like this.
  6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

He has been a professional since I've known him from all way back on 2001.
    Just dont offer to pay the tab because you wont be racing anymore after that bill.
    Bahhhahahhaha.

Steven

7. fastfreddie

I'd lose any race through the paddock, except T10 at Summit. :D

8. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

The Beer panther will strike again..... soon .....

yamageezer likes this.
  9. yamageezer

GNF?

10. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Radial master cylinders are not an issue...they've been readily available before 1992.

But radial brakes haven't been readily available prior to 2003...I think the zx636 was the first mass production bike with them...then everyone followed suit in 2004.
    If they are now allowed, then you'd better get rid of the fork diameter restriction too, because I'm guessing when someone does a swap to a modern front end in order to get the radial brakes, there might be some with too large of a fork tube diameter.

I'll be slow no matter what I ride but I still feel it violates the intent of the rules.

There is a place for all of the "lost generation" bikes and equipment...V8...not V7HW and most certainly not V6HW!!!

A definitive "YES" or "NO" from Mongo would be helpful...especially at this stage of "2021" builds for some people.

Regards,
    Chad

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. fastfreddie

Care to add a manufacturer to that for the record? I'm looking for a master for my R1-calipered FZR1000G and if there's a radial available in the proper size, why not?

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Well Played!!!:crackup::beer:

Harry V. III and VFR#52 like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Something to keep in mind is that while V7 for the big bikes is production based it is also a superbike class - so even if the trick parts weren't on street bikes as long as they were available to build a superbike then they are legal.

tzrboy and yamageezer like this.
  14. yamageezer

Well 1998 was the first season that GP used them, so I guess not legal for V7, but the master cylinder would be. Thanks for clarifying.

15. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

So are the Duc guys just really fast?...or are they using "questionable engine components"?...lol:rolleyes::D

(joking...well maybe...what's the scoop?)

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Let's find out next yr.
    This yr this garbage pandemic kept some racers from being on track.
    But the grids are bigger and new people are showing up.
    That's the main thing right now.
    But I'm not totally retired just yet my goal is be on grid next yr ready to race in both V7 classes.

Steven

Jeff McKinney and evakat like this.
  17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

I was also looking at doing a radial MC swap while dusting off the old FZR. According to Brembo, radial master cylinders were designed in 1985 and on the track in 1986:

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/history-radial-master-cyclinder-brembo-brakes

VFR#52 likes this.
  18. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Mike, You had some Yamaha stuff for sale awhile back. Is it still available ?

19. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

Hey Rusty. Nobody ever pulled the trigger on the whole package when I was looking to sell. My neighbor recently got into riding and track days and is fascinated by the old FZR and wants to see it run, so I told him I'd get it out there a few times when we go this coming year. I put it on the lift a few weeks ago and am puttering with it. So for now, nothing is for sale.

20. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update. Not a problem. I found other sources for FZR stuff. Maybe see you at the track