1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V7 Brakes and Forks.

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamageezer, Oct 8, 2020.

1. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

So pretty sure I can run radial brakes (probably a complete late model R1 front end) on my 1990 FZR1000 in V7. Correct?

Brakes: 350 & 500 GP will employ internal expanding drum brakes front and rear regardless of original equipment. Formula 500, V1, V2 and V3 will employ expanding drum brakes or disc brakes up to 12” in diameter, no floating rotors. Calipers may be a maximum of two pistons and may float (all components must be period correct). Formula 2 Stroke, V 4, V 5, V 6 and V 7 may use any brake system provided that the design and operating principle was in use prior to the cut-off date. V 6 and V 7 are the only classes allowed to run six piston calipers.

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I hope you are correct...
    I swapped a 01 R1 complete front brake system on my 87 FZR750RT.
    Preparing her for 2021 action.

3. DougBowie

DougBowie Well-Known Member

Are you allowed 1000 cc now? Thought it was 750 inline Fours ????

4. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Now thats a good question.
    After the new rules this yr im not sure if they are legal or not Now.
    before this yr they where not legal.
    But after they let the Ducks in im sure anyone racing V7 Hw will need to step up to compete.

Steven

5. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Radial brakes (talking calipers not master cylinder) haven't ever been allowed in V7 before...not sure why they would be allowed now.

Show me an OEM radial mount brake system that meets the cut off year...not gonna happen.

Radial brakes didn't show up on production machinery until the year 2003.

I'd say no. Besides, it kind of goes against the principle of the class.

Regards,
    Chad

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    VFR#52 likes this.
  6. 2Big4Bike

2001 R1 doesn't have radial mount calipers.

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. yamageezer

Chad, the rules say nothing about production bikes, Brembo introduced radial calipers back in 1983 or thereabouts. Honestly I don't care either way, but in 04 the R1 went radial and I'm just trying to buy and mount one front end just once.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  8. yamageezer

Vintage 7 Heavyweight
    Pre 1996 Unlimited displacement production machines.
    Pre 1996 Factory GP machines up to 500cc.
    RS and TZ 250’s through 1999.

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Go settle it on track boys!!!!......I'd love to see THAT race!:rock:

evakat and yamageezer like this.
  10. 2Big4Bike

Just like you quoted from the Rulebook right after this post "Pre 1996 Unlimited Displacement Production machines"
    2004 R1 with radial brakes doesn't hit the cut off year.

Might as well add traction/launch/wheelie control, rain maps in an ecu, and every other new gizmo.

Why not stay in the spirit of the rules for V7?

Run the radial stuff in V8 where it truly belongs.

I'm currently building a 92 zx7 for next year and I'd love to put a zx10 front end on it...but no...I believe the intent of the class rules are clear.

Regards,
    Chad

evakat and VFR#52 like this.
  11. yamageezer

Chad, not trying to cheat or bend the rules here, just looking for legal options. Since 500 GP bikes are allowed in this class too, how does that stand? Seems like the class is based on the old Formula USA rules, maybe Mongo can clarify.

12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Seriously guys.
    I just dont see how anyone is all of a sudden going to be 3 seconds faster because they put radial brakes on their bikes.
    May I point out that the numbers dont lie! Bahhhahahhaha
    Mike Burns is and has had the fastest lap times in V7HW and next is Norman Hammond in last 5 yrs.
    Even with the new guys racing the lap times have all been about what we have been running at the tracks.
    Not even sure my F3 is competitive in V7HW any more due to the new rules.
    But the vintage class needs more entries so here we are.
    I'm sure Eric or Sean will show up and clarify this.
    But remember no matter how trick the bikes are they still have to be raced on a track.
    So let's all breath and get ready for next yr.
    Take care everyone

Steven

yamageezer likes this.
  13. yamageezer

Joe, you're good. I have the same on my FZR750RU, so we can be twinsies. ;-)

evakat likes this.
  14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Hell... I am so old and slow... I am probably never seeing a "top of the box checkered flag"... I am just shooting to NOT be last. LOL

VFR#52 likes this.
  15. CharlieY

Hey Steven, Just info here, and in no way meant to jab at the great riders Mike Burns, maybe Dougie, or possibly yourself are......but dont discount this "Middleton dude" as some newbie!

This guy has run MID-1:40's at Barber......ON A CB350! That him and I built!:rock: .......Leading Henning and Demetrious while doing it:bow:.....It was inspiring.

Anyhow just info (and there is more) on this "Middleton dude":flag::clap:

Yo Dean:Poke::timeforabeer:

VFR#52 likes this.
  16. yamageezer

Haha, good times. Remember when I came out of retirement (your fault CY) and raced a CB350 at summit point with points and unopened engine (I adjusted the valves) doing 1:30s and was accused of cheating with a full v1 motor, before I even got back to my parents house 45 mins from the track. I'm old and slow with the best of them now, but thanks for the kind words.

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Lol. Not at all guys.
    What I was trying to say is a set of radial brakes wont make you faster.
    Nobody is discounting anyone.
    But until you actually line up in class and throw down fast laps and win well the rest is all hypothetical isnt it.
    Lol
    Besides last time I checked brakes slow you down.
    And I've yet to see anyone protest anything in vintage V7 classes.
    We dont roll that way.
    So let's just go have fun.

Steven

yamageezer likes this.
  18. yamageezer

Steve, for right now my plan is to button up the FZR750 and run it in V6HW and bump up to V7HW, just like Joe Novella will be doing next year. I just have a huge pile of good parts that make up 90% of a 1990 FZR1000, so it may be a winter project. Would be terrible to have two bikes at the track and let a friend (CY?) race the FZR750 in V7HW instead of sitting in the pits. Oh gawd, I just admitted (to a questionable crowd) that I'm friends with CY. :(

evakat and VFR#52 like this.
  19. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

FWIW, I don't remember who told me this, but I seem t remember that any technology readily available to the general public at the class cutoff was legal. When I put an R1 radial master on my V7 YZF600 I searched the internet for vintage ads listing the same technology. I then printed them off and kept them in my toolbox in case of someone protesting second to last place...I still have them somewhere.

yamageezer likes this.
  20. CharlieY

Dude....are you frikkin yankin my chain?????

yamageezer likes this.