1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highlights from MotoGP's first taste of Portimao

Discussion in 'General' started by KneeDragger_c69, Oct 8, 2020.

1. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

So Aprilia on their MotoGP bike was only 0.25 seconds faster than the WSBK Kawi. Everyone else tested on OEM bikes. Love that Suzuki used a GSX-R 1000 with headlights on it

3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Not bad at all for the Aprilias. Guess they got a free pass to ride their GP bikes.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I figure that will translate to about a 3 second advantage from a healthy Marc Marquez. :D

BigBird likes this.
  6. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I have to be honest, I really wish we could have gotten some data from this around the street bikes. Like how did the 213V-S compare to the RR-R and the V4R. And how did the V4R and the SL V4 compare. And what did the "regular bikes" like the R1 and GSXR do compared to the "specials".

7. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

They still have concessions due to no podiums/wins. Had KTM not won a couple races they'd have been able to bring their GP bikes too.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Very nice! Good to see a rare front cam view. I'm so over the ass cam. Challenging layout.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

NemesisR6 likes this.
  10. awalk9905

awalk9905 Well-Known Member

JLo's a bit off pace... Vinales went faster on the R1.

Attached Files:

Quicktoy and BigBird like this.
  11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I get why people make the comparison, but I’m not sure how much it really tells us. When were the comparative WSBK times set? Rea set MotoGP times at their joint test a while back. Doesn’t mean a ton when the tire performance is so different. If Rea had been in MotoGP at that time at the same test who’s to say he would’ve even gone as fast as on his WSBK. Some tracks a MotoGP bike isn’t even going to be that much of an advantage if it can’t stretch its legs. What was the gap at Laguna?

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

He's probably wondering what the fuck is wrong with the sweet old M1 that he remembers. Mav and Goose screwed up his bike while he was gone. Either that or he's just lost that lovin feelin.

13. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Miller brought his bike in a van, like a track day. I love it.

Razr, SGVRider and BigBird like this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Simple Jack just wants to race fast bikes, ride fast women and drink beer. If he has to use a van for any or all of those, he’ll just do it without pretense. I think we can all relate!

15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Is this the first time motogp has ever had this track on schedule?
    confirmed by wiki ... hard to believe
    always played this track on my 2010 wsbk ps3 game on repeat. love the last 5 corners

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

That probably would have been a marketing/PR nightmare.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

......and an indicated 325kph/203mph on the start/finish straight.

I know the V4S is a good bike, but that must be a gearing thing, no?

18. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

JZ just has the balls to use first gear and grunt it off the corner.