1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Richie V sandbagging

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Oct 5, 2020.

1. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Greg you going to GNF?
    You know if Mesa is going there or going to Laguna?

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What do you think the chances are that they'll do what they did in twins and have a postseason test to determine homologation specs?

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Different situations. I don't think many people would deny the FZ07 has more potential than most SVs. It just costs twice as much to utilize. But I think everyone that has swapped went faster on the FZ.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mesa's results this weekend will have any impact on potential regulation changes for 2021. Richie is riding so well and the team is so well-sorted that I won't be surprised if a wildcard can't even get close to his results. If Mesa barely gets into the top 10, that may be some justification that the bike doesn't need extra weight. M4 may want to root for Mesa to get on the box :D

Quicktoy and VFR#52 like this.
  5. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Broto GP / RiderzLaw 636 for 2021!

rafa, Senna and stangmx13 like this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i'll be there, and i fully expect Mesa to be at the GNF. way more money to be made for him there vs. traverse the entire country and spend a ton... just my guess, i didn't ask him when he spanked me on the last lap at NC bike
    :crackup:

Quicktoy and VFR#52 like this.
  7. MELK-MAN

Stefano is more than capable, but they just got their hands on that 636 a few months ago. My guy was actually helping him set the slipper clutch in fact. The guys and teams at the pointy end of Supersport have had a fair amount of time with their bike, and the tires. I'm pretty sure Indy may even be the first time he will have had Dunlops on his 636. He WILL get toward the front in time...

stangmx13 and VFR#52 like this.
  8. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

melk are these guys not all using aftermarket slippers at this level? yoyo, stm, suter? i just got a yoyo slipper for my R6 after doing the clutch mod and seeing a big improvement i'm hoping the yoyo takes it a step forward to making me feel more comfortable on the bike.

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

You're entitled to your opinion, as I am. But there is no way anything will change in 2020, if ever. SDK has won 3 races this year, twice when RE was still on the track, so he's no slouch. But I still believe what started as 600cc Supersport should be limited to 600cc motorcycles (if they have 4 cylinders).

Robby-Bobby, VFR#52 and MELK-MAN like this.
  10. John29

I root for Stefano anyway, I've known him since he was a little kid hanging out with Martin Cardenas (his mom is Martin's mom's best friend) and I'm happy for him and his parents when he does well.

vfrket, VFR#52, Senna and 1 other person like this.
  11. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Why did they have a rule before that the 636 needed weight added then removed it? What's the history behind that?

And for the record I was just talking smack about the competition. I love watching the boys battle it out. You can tell SDK really wants it and he's trying his heart out to beat RE. From a fan perspective the sport needs WAY more of that. We need more than SDK, RE and BP up there fighting for the lead.

VFR#52 and Gorilla George like this.
  12. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

What are you thoughts of what is proposed for next year is WSS? No malice in this question, just curiosity since I wouldn't be surprised if MA tries to follow a similar suit..

13. John29

It started with DMG requiring an extra 20 pounds. But that's a good question and the closest thing I've gotten to an answer as to why MotoAmerica took off the last of the extra weight is that two guys at MotoAmerica unilaterally decided (based on the then-current results, they said) to take the last of the extra weight off, instead of following the procedure listed in the MotoAmerica rulebook. Meanwhile, we agree that the battles between those 3 talented guys have been very entertaining. Unfortunately in most cases they did not stay that way to the end of the race. RE usually clears out with about 4 laps to go, sometimes instantly dropping his times and running 0.5 quicker than he qualified. Last year's lead groups of guys on 600s tended to start and finish as ongoing battles.

14. grasshopper

Maybe it was carrot to dangle for someone to develop the Kawi and get more bikes on the grid. Who knows.

Quicktoy likes this.
  15. John29

I think it's a mistake, but nobody at Dorna has asked for my opinion. I don't think a 636cc motorcycle should be in what started as and should still be a 600cc class. I also disagree with letting the 1078cc Aprilia run in MotoAmerican Superbike, which I've heard a few people advocated. Superbike should be a 1000cc class (in the case of 4-cylinder bikes). Supersport should be a 600cc class (in the case of 4-cylinder bikes). It's a slippery slope when some four-cylinder bikes are allowed to be bigger than others. Where does it end? Going straight to 750cc Supersport instead of 600cc Supersport? Heritage and tradition should count for something in racing. And 600cc Supersport should be for 600cc (4-cylinder) bikes in my opinion. Your opinion may vary!

16. John, I think a lot of it comes down to what is available on the market. The 636 is kind of the oddball in that regard but if we wanted to stay with 1000cc limit it would limit all but Japanese bikes. I don’t know the solution besides some sort of balancing formula which we all know is a tough task in itself. You can add weight to a bike but if strategically placed and the right size rider the effects of that can be greater for some more than others. Screw it. Bring back FUSA run what ya brung.

17. John29

They said they were doing it to get Kawasaki to come back in with a semi-truck team. I'd like to ask the geniuses who thought that up, "How has that worked out?"

While I'm on the subject of geniuses, somebody somewhere in this thread decried M4 (I'm pretty sure he meant Team Hammer, racing as M4 ECSTAR Suzuki) now being useless. Two teams have won MotoAmerica Superbike races in 2020, and Hammer is one of them, with Bobby Fong. Two teams have won Supersport races, and Hammer is one of them, with SDK. One team has put more than one rider on a Supersport podium--Hammer, with SDK and Lucas Silva. Rocco Landers, a 15-year-old on a Hammer-built SV650, is leading Twins Cup points (he needs one point to clinch the 2020 title), and two kids on Hammer-built SV650s (Rocco and also Teagg Hobbs) have podiumed in Twins Cup. The talented Cameron Petersen on a Hammer-built (and tech supported) Altus Motorsports GSX-R1000 is leading Stock 1000 and Superbike Cup points, and has finished top-5 overall in a Superbike race. Alex Dumas, a kid on another Hammer-built GSX-R1000, has led in Stock 1000 and finished on the Stock 1000 podium, and cracked the top 10 overall in a Superbike race, in his first year racing a 1000cc after winning the 2019 Twins Cup championship. Kevin Olmedo and Jaret Nassaney are continually improving on Hammer-built Altus Motorsports GSX-R600s.

All in all, not a bad season year to date. A lot of really good teams haven't had those kind of results this year, but it happens when the competition level is as high as it is now. And as always, I invite anybody reading this to come kick our ass (since it's so easy) so I can congratulate them at the podium!

18. John29

Ducati and Aprilia have 1000cc v4 Sportbikes, and I have no problem with letting a larger-than-600cc twin-cylinder or three cylinder racing against 600cc four-cylinders (or if somebody has a bigger Twin they want to run in Superbike). My objection is allowing one four-cylinder to be bigger than another four-cylinder and to exceed 600cc in Supersport or 1000cc in Superbike.

With all due respect, of course!

cav115 likes this.
  19. grasshopper

20. MELK-MAN

can't say how many do or don't. I know Stefano is not.. yet... some of the R6's had Suter, but having them in my bikes, i know first hand, they can be problematic compared to the near bullet proof OEM R6 slipper. Graves is now pushing another slipper brand and i'm getting parts from Superbikes Unlimited for the Suter stuff .
    Won't name names, but I know of one MA team that got rid of the Suters after repeated issues, and of 1 rider that since switched to another bike. The maint. replacement schedule for various parts of the $1000 clutch is comical. Some parts literally are expected to be replaced after one race. Once we figured out the stack heights needed to be a bit less than OEM spec, the pressure plates and inner hub liners were lasting longer. I do like the feel of it vs the OEM slipper, even after modding the OEM "Y" springs though, so we just deal with it and throw parts at it as they wear. They work well, but for club guys that don't even replace clutch stacks till the clutch is slipping, i would not recommend it....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Canadian Bacon, Quicktoy and VFR#52 like this.