1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone convert a KLX125 to minigp?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Crconnor18, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Crconnor18

Crconnor18 Well-Known Member

Looking at a deal on a klx125 for a minigp/parking lot frill bike.

anyone have experience converting them to a minigp bike? I can’t find much on the internet on them.

2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

What year? An '03-'06 that is actually a Suzuki DRZ125?

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Generally, the conversion is similar across most of those entry level trail machines. They usually came in small wheel and big wheel versions, the small wheel sporting a 14in rear, 17in front, and a large wheel with a 16in rear, 19in front. The large wheel, buy a set of BT45s to match the rims and have at it. The small wheel, you can put a BT45 on the front, I dunno what to suggest for the 14in rear as I never played with that size.

If you're going to be short / small tracking it, consider getting 12" rims laced up to it. Lots of good rubber available in that size, the bike will turn quicker, but it'll be slightly more sketchy in the dirt. https://gatorrimz.com/ would be a good place to start researching.

If you want to go deep down the rabbit hole... A KX85 or RM85 front end will likely swap on to give you better forks, get the wheel laced up with a wider 17" rim and run BT45s or Moto3 race rubber. In back, adapt a big wheel KX/RM85 swingarm, and again lace up a proper 17" wheel to the hub, BT45s or Moto3 rubber. Get the suspension sprung and valved for you to match.

Don't bother with that unless you're racing, and if you're racing I suspect there will be a better option than the KLX 125 depending on the org's rules.

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I can give some info regarding converting a KLX140L, not sure how much crossover between the 125 and 140 there is.

That said, most of my useful information has been from ToadmeisterOO. I also blame him for causing me to spend a bunch more cash on this 140 than originally intended. :D

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. Toadmeister00

Yes...somehow me saying "just throw some BT45s on it and ride it!" ended up as being a full on big bore, full exhaust, proper 17s and slicks build!

How is the build coming along?

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yes, it's all your fault Todd. :D

Build going well. Will be shipping donor hubs to Bernan next week and getting the 17s built.

I've decided to hold off doing the 170 kit until winter in hope that I can make the kart track in Whiteland before the snow flies.

7. Toadmeister00

Kurlon covered it pretty well. If you're looking at big wheel bike, throwing some BT45s on and maybe some BBR fork/ shock springs on it will get you riding.

I have a pretty good F1-class build (125cc limit) with 150R forks, CR85 shock, 17" wheels, hot rod motor, etc. I also ran it with 12s to test, but the footpeg clearance was a little bit of a problem for me. IMG_20200105_153301088.jpg IMG_20200311_144334755_HDR.jpg

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Todd, did you remove the rear brake pedal?

and which SM front fender did you use?

9. Toadmeister00

Yup, I'm using a rudimentary thumb brake for now (just to pass tech, basically) until I end up with whatever swingarm/ rear wheel/ rear brake combo will become permanent. That's a KTM 85SX rear wheel and brake for testing purposes, since I had access to 12" and 17" KTM 85 wheels.

It's an Acerbis Supermoto front fender, with the ugly "beak" trimmed off of the front.

IMG_20190726_184440021_HDR.jpg 37890113-dbcb-40dd-bea2-d7754d473238_1.12d1f00abfc1f2c9ab3bafc2c7e8d81b.jpeg

Senna and RRP like this.
  10. Jethro66

Jethro66 Well-Known Member

I'm building a klx140L mini pavement ripper as well.
    Would appreciate any advise.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

BBR Springs - front and rear.
    BT45Vs on stock wheels to get going quickly and on the cheap.
    Depending on your size, I picked up a raised seat, lowered pegs, already had bar risers on it.

Todd pointed out some aftermarket stuff from 73motoparts and I'm a sucker for trick parts, so getting a set of 17" SM wheels made.

I can confirm that the KX 85/100 front and rear hubs are the same as the KLX140, as you need donor hubs for the 17s.

I also managed to get a screaming deal on a pile of stuff off Thumpertalk - exhaust, big bore kit, the seat and pegs, KX carb and some other stuff. None of it necessary but I got a good deal so I took it. I got about $2k worth of stuff for $400. :D

12. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Got the main conversion tasks completed. Pretty pleased so far.

90232882-5870-4BD8-98E6-144C3ACF2DE1.jpeg

britx303, Senna and TurboBlew like this.
  14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Can you tell me what handguards you're using? They look great?

Also, where did you get the wheels?

Thanks.

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Wheels are from https://www.73motoparts.com/. Bernan (owner) supercool gave me a good deal on the package and great communication and service.

Barkbusters/guards were on the bike when I got it. I’ll see if I can find a brand/model next time I’m out in big shop.

Senna likes this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thank you. Those are the 12” wheels in your picture?

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

17” s

Senna likes this.
  18. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

@RRP that's a good-looking bike. That's F1, right? How do the forks perform with that rim and slick?

19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

According to Sean - WERA mini 80.

No clue how it rides yet. I bought it and @Toadmeister00 immediately forced me to spend too much $ on parts. :D

Kart track as soon as I can when it warms up.

DmanSlam likes this.
  20. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

At least, you can see the money on your bike. My stock 100 probably has more money in it, for the least performance gains, out of all my bikes.

RRP likes this.