1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s the purpose of this tube?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Oct 6, 2020.

1. I know there are some medical people on here, plus the members of this forum probably have collectively the most surgeries of any forum in the world. :D

So can someone tell me where this tube went, and what it was for?

After they finished rebuilding my shit, this tube was in my back. It drained blood into a bag they had hanging on the bed. At first they would have to empty the bag every 1-2hrs. Then it kept taking longer to fill. Once it got to where it took all day to fill, they removed it.

But what was it hooked to in my back? Where did the blood come from? Why was it necessary?

27BA352D-B9DE-4D12-B84E-2DA3895C7BE8.jpeg

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I would guess that you were bleeding around your spine. And if they had not trained the blood, it would have accumulated around your organs.

Disclaimer: it's been a long time since I was in a Holiday Inn.

tl1098 likes this.
  3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

All I have is:
    Get well soon!

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's the tube that runs to the catch tank for fuel/ oil, duh. Need to fix the safety wiring, that won't pass tech.

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You water pump was leaking and the drain tube was installed after your weep hole was siliconed shut. Totally normal.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You need to have a talk with the service tech. Nobody wants to finish someone else's job.

7. Hmm, that makes sense. But what was it hooked to on the inside? Did they just stick it between two vertebrae?

They didn’t have to cut me open again. When it was time, they just pulled it out. So it couldn’t have been fixed to anything.

I wish I would have paid attention to how long the tube was (that they pulled out).

8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

its just a drain. the blood that was bleeding internally from the results of surgery would make its way out of the drain until your internal wounds were healed, then they pull it out.

JCW and Jed like this.
  9. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Ask Livengood.

The real question you should be asking is why was there one tube and not two.

Jedb, YamahaRick, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  10. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

If I knew you and you were one of my friends I would tell you that it’s is an overflow for the sand in your vag and it might help with moistness too. But alas, it’s most likely something medical.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  11. 2 questions, and I’m sure the 2nd one is stupid, but I’m going to ask it anyway...

1. What was it hooked to on the inside?

2. That makes sense, but why would I have internal bleeding? I’m pretty sure bones don’t bleed, right? Or was it from the repairs to the nerve channels caused from the broken fragments floating around?

My next follow up isn’t for another 2-3 weeks, and this is bugging me.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Yep...just like they do it in Grey's Anatomy :crackup:

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Basically you have a pocket inside of you which collects fluids...puss, excess blood etc. This is simply a drain which keeps your body from retaining these fluids (and possible causing infection). You should feel lucky...I had neck surgery that went septic; they had to open me up, I spent 10 days in the hospital getting fed a cocktail of antibiotics, and then got to wear a tube just like that in my neck for about 6-8 weeks. I looked like quite the freak show when I went out. I think I caused a little kid to have nightmares the rest of his life.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

What part of "They just cut down through a lot of tissue to get to your spine." is unclear to you? While bone may not bleed all the shit they cut through to get to your spine does.

Shenanigans and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. Oh. Well shit. I didn’t think about that.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

They are removing your soul.

tl1098, brex, YamahaRick and 3 others like this.
  17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's just a drain so you don't get a hematoma or massive swelling or infection, it's not connected to anything and chances are it's barely secured to anything.

SpeedyE and Gorilla George like this.
  18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

lo

looks like #2 was answered already, but it wasnt "hooked" to anything on the inside. simply pushed into you, then sewn/taped into the skin to keep there while it drained accumulated blood and fluids.

SpeedyE and Gorilla George like this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That wasnt due to the tube....

Robin172 and rd400racer like this.
  20. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

If that image is of your back, now I know how you got the name Gorilla George... :eek: