1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Sights

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Oct 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I was looking on Amazon for a laser sight for a pistol and there are too many to choose from.
    Has anybody bought one they liked for cheap/reasonable money? Do I want red or green?
    What about one with a flashlight, a plus or a waste of money? I need some direction here.
    I shoot like Michael J Fox these days and I'm hoping a laser would help.

2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Lasers can help with accuracy but do have a drawback. They concentrate your focus on the dot. This takes away from situational and peripheral awareness. Depending on your use case, a taclight could be much more advantagous and of course night sights. I used the TLR-1 Taclight from Streamlight and if you're set on getting a laser, you can get the -2 which is a light/laser combo. I loved my light and used the shit out of it.

Ducti89 likes this.
  3. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Never was a fan of the laser on the S&W Bodyguard I had. Maybe not a fair comparison to a "better" laser. Got a Vortex Viper red dot on a Ruger 22/45 and it's like cheating shooting steel with it. Dot on plate, pull trigger smoothly, and ding every time. Almost makes me wish all of my pistols had one.

4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

My dad has a Crimson Trace on two pistols. He loves them and has had zero issues.

5. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Mine is a Crimson Trace Laserguard green laser with flashlight. It was already on the gun when purchased, so I have no idea on how easy or difficult is the mounting.

Once I got it sighted in, it is great. Just be aware that a laser and/or flash light will basically pin-point your location if someone is returning fire.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

[​IMG]

R1M370, Senna and CR750 like this.
  7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I got a $30 green laser from Amazon and put it on the bottom pic rail of my Tisas 9mm. I like the green vs. red, more visible in most lighting. It did NOT stay sighted worth a crap during a range session though, I'd suggest spending more if that's important. The $35 red/green dot I have on my AR holds adjustment very well and works great (more likely due to the much lower recoil of .556 vs. 9mm). If you have any way to mount it, take the dot over laser all day long.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I have couple Armalaser on AR pistols. Very small, has 2 bare metal areas that, when you touch them, it toggles on and off.

The ones I have are green and have worked great. In the complete dark they are almost bright enough to function as a light.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/armalaser-laser-sight.html

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Every bit of this.

10. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

What about using a red dot like a Holosun 407C instead?

11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Lasers IMO are a good training aid, would never use one as a permanent aiming solution.

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

IMO they are excellent on a bump in the night gun. Try this out....remove the bolt in an unloaded AR pistol and have someone point it at you in the dark and see how it would feel to be a perp. For one, it is disorienting and it sure conveys the feeling of impending perforation that nothing else can quite touch. Agree, not a lot of aiming value in the day.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not having a laser sight of any kind, but having used them, I'm gonna set myself up as a target anyway...
    - Pinpoints your location? Well, duh...and a white light does what? If the laser isn't pointed directly at the target, or in a smoke/dust-filled environment, there's virtually no telling where it's coming from.
    - Concentrates your focus? Quit target fixating. It's a no-no on bikes, but you can train yourself to "look away" or, more importantly, look at what you should be looking at. Train yourself to see that the "dot" has painted the target. If you can't see that in your peripheral vision, there's no helping you. In that respect, it's little different than using a red dot, except you have to have some semblance of eye/sight alignment with a red dot.
    - Don't buy cheap sights or mounts of any kind, ever.

This concludes my abridged real-world application of lasers PSA presentation. Sign up for more real-world info by calling 1-800-FUNFRED and get detailed instructions on how to fuck shit up covertly. Call now and I'll also tell you how to blow shit up!
    But wait, there's more! The first fifty callers get two free sheaths full of throwing knives! That's ten perfectly forged, balanced and hardened throwing knives with guaranteed penetration through all street clothing, including winter jackets! No need to waste ammo, just whip a blade at the perp's temple and if he don't go down, he ain't stickin' around neither. Plant one in his ass...they're barbed. :D

code3ryder likes this.
  14. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

And if you train enough to be able to not focus on the dot, you'll be a good enough weapons handler to not need the laser :D

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

<ahem>
    :D

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

Ducti89 likes this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Get a higher capacity mag and go for the spray and pray strategy.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Cannot even remember the brand as I git it as a throw in on a bunch of stuff I bought from a guy but I love the one on my 308 I use for coyotes. It’s awesome in the mid light times. I’ll probably use it tonight if there is enough moonlight. They certainly have their purpose on pistols and rifles but to me they are a tool
    To be used in the right situation.

19. Or just get a shotgun and aim in the general direction. Anything that was on your left side is no longer a problem. :D

[/Bill Burr]

Sabre699 likes this.