1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front stand for SV with GSXR bodywork and forks...

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Sep 30, 2020.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

First gen SV with ‘01-‘03 forks and triples, and ‘05(?) gsxr1000 fairings.

my pins for the steering head are all too large, but i can fix that. Bigger issue is that the stand is hitting the bodywork.

i can’t be the first person to encounter this issue.

i have fork-end stands as well, but really prefer the stability of supporting the bike at the steering tube. For fork work, i would have the fairing removed, so i assume that will be fine.

thoughts? Do i just need to trust the fork-bottom stands? They get in the way of the axle for tire changes.

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Pictures? Stock front end?

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Fork bottom stands, and I've never had an issue with tire changes using one. If it's a Pit-Bull, it should work.

Only time I use a triple tree/steering head stand anymore is for doing fork servicing.

4. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

I think mine would hit some, but I'd just let it. I used the same Vortex front stand on all my SVs (1st and 2nd gens). My bodywork was never known for being "pristine". You could try to source a pin that has a step or a collar if you need it to catch a little higher up.

5. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Seems like I carved a chunk out of the lower part of the upper to avoid this, you cant even see that part of the upper unless your on the ground looking up.

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I've never had a issue with my pitbull stand

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Your pin is to small...... They have pills for that now

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

yeah, i have 2, and the one has pins that contact the axle through the bottom of the fork - which means IF i pull the axle, i can’t get it back in...

the other will hold under the caliper brackets, and i think that’s the only way to go, but it feels less stable.

9. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

U got a lathe or a welder? Make it longer?

The.Johnner likes this.
  10. The.Johnner

The.Johnner Active Member

:stupid:
    I had the same issue and made a custom pin on the lathe at work using scrap material. It works beautifully.