1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clipon bars bending?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by duc995, Sep 29, 2020.

1. duc995

duc995 Yep…

How common is it for aftermarket clipon bars to be slightly bent under routine use? Is this even possible by routine weight transfer from the rider’s upper body during braking? How about by tightening tie-down straps too aggressively? Any one experience this?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

like name branded bars? Its not completely out of the realm of possibility but the forces to do such distorting... Ive seen many cast clip ons break from over zealous tie down cinching.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I could see tie downs bending them but not people, most often the clamp with spin from a person before the bar would bend.
    Also you shouldn't tie down from the bars

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Another reason a Pit Bull TRS is just a wise choice for bike transport.

Suzuka_joe, duc995 and Newyork like this.
  5. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I’ve got a Kendon 2 bike trailer with the wheel chock upgrade. I use a Canyon Dancer to secure the bike from the handle bars. A TRS setup would be ideal, but won’t work on this trailer. I just thought that if the tie downs only partially compressed the forks that there was no way the bars could bend. And yes, these are name brand, top tier bars. I’ve been towing this way for 25 years and don’t recall this ever happening before.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I still use tie downs from the bars with canyon dancers. But I dont use ratchet straps. Instead I use cam buckle straps. No risk of over tightening like with ratchet straps. Never had an issue

Killswitch likes this.
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

For me also with a chock, soft straps to the lower triple is more secure and won’t damage grips or throttle.

There’s a lot of force in a bike tied down and going over speed bumps. I’m not surprised ppl over do it and bend/break them.

SundaySocial and TurboBlew like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the cup type CD or the grip twister version??

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I used both and didn't ever bend bars. Did use Ancra straps, not ratchet straps.

10. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Per stangmx13 "soft straps to the lower triple"
    This is what you want to do if you need to strap front!

11. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Cup type CD.

12. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Never tried that technique. Seems like it would interfere with bodywork - but I’m willing to give it a try.

I think I will also go back to non-ratchet style tie down straps a well.

13. lopitt85

I use the cup type. Zero issues.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. lopitt85

That's why I stopped using the lower triple. The straps were putting too much pressure on my bodywork

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Cross the straps when grabbing under the lower triple, that'll keep the straps off the bodywork.

Sabre699, busa99 and duc995 like this.
  16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

17. lopitt85

Don't you just love when someone gives you a solution so simple that you can't believe you didnt think of it?

busa99 likes this.
  18. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

I have bent the bars from riding force. also spin front tire on rim out of balance. it is possible

19. duc995

duc995 Yep…

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  20. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I have a TRS on a Kendon dual trailer. Had a buddy weld a plate onto the rear section. Used it all this season and it has been great. I'll never deal with straps again.

duc995 likes this.