1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire Pressure Advice

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Chain, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

I'm not getting this right, these are 200/60 V3 SP's and on the trackday I did when new I ran 28 cold on a cool day at medium pace and they look fine.
    [​IMG]
    All good, but same tire next day on a road ride at a much higher pressure of 36 cold and I get this;
    [​IMG]
    This is after an hour of high and low speed twisties, the hot pressure was about 43. Ive asked and got mixed replies- some say more pressure, some say less. When I make an effort to be controlled and smooth it starts healing up but any ideas on whats going on?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would opine that public road isnt the same temperature as a closed course for starters.
    43 is kinda high for a tire needing max traction. What was the hot temp of the tire at the track? What made you put more air in it?

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  3. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

I got advice that I should run higher pressure on the street, but since I dont commute maybe its wrong. I thought less pressure = more flex and more expansion, and no matter how you get from cold there there is an optimum hot pressure. I think next step is to reduce it to what the manual says and see what happens on the same road same speed.

4. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I think if you're going to run a faster pace on the street, you can lower the cold pressure. But faster paces are best left for the track (obligatory guidance :) )

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

If you want the hot pressure to go up, add air. If you want the hot pressure to go down, remove air. The temp doesn't change THAT much when you add or remove a few psi. Because of this, the pressure doesnt change that much either - not more than you added/removed.

I'd bet a lot of that wear difference is due to how you used the throttle. Id guess you had less edge grip on the street partly because of the high pressure. So you had to wait to open the throttle, then whacked it open. But ya, just a guess.

6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think a second set of rims for street tires would probably be a wise investment and pay for themselves in saved tire money and frustration chasing pressure/wear/tearing issues from one environment to the other if your going to use the same bike for double duty.

7. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice, think I will get some more rims!