1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I've had a WR250X with an extra set of off-road wheels for several years. It's been great for day trips and even an over-nighter or two. Tons of aftermarket options, the bike is very capable and reliable. Some say it lacks power, but when I lowered the gearing for off-road and switched to the R6 throttle tube, it's not bad at all.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not sure what your budget is, but, I found my buddy a Beta Xtrainer (300, 2T, E-start) for $5500. He rides it as a technical/woods bike he can ride onroad between trails. There’s an aftermarket tank, if you need more range.

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Picture a red colored tranny.

motion likes this.
  6. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Where would we find you? We are staying in glade springs tonight and starting tomorrow.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Install Adblock

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

ape tuareg.jpg

XL_600_VT_Transalp_96_1.jpg

ducnut likes this.
  9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Dancingbear-damascus.com

11. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

That looks way too much like a KLR to me....
    Of course, a KLR with triple the power and less flex could be a good thing.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

That is fucking killer. I would love to use a Hyper Like that. Do you see much time on the interstate? How bad is it?

13. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Well, I don't set out on it to do iron butts. It's not uncomfortable to me doing 6 hrs. on the I-state. I use a throttle cruise, zeta raised bars/busters, and a DP seat. A lot of people don't like being in the wind that long, but it doesn't bother me at all, actually prefer it. Of course, it has plenty of power, which is the huge advantage over all of those mid weight ADV bikes which, ironically, weigh significantly more. I like its capabilities on dirt, but at the same time, can blast down the highway without crying about it being too buzzy, wobbly at speed, or can't easily pass a slow poke. If you've ever ridden a hyper on the highway, it's solid.

Ain't nothing perfect. All these bikes have a bias. These mid weights are biased either street or off highway, but it seems to me that they all do their biases the same way....puny h.p./grunt while being 450 lbs. Not me. And the AT and 990+ are like twice too big.

I only ride alone, and when this bike is loaded with tent and crap, it's all that I can pick up...and I pick it up a lot...cuz I'm a shitty rider. It has the capability to go anywhere that I wanted to go....Mosquito, White Rim, UTBDR, COBDR, Hey Joe, Black Bear, Imogene, Posey, Ophir...and a bunch of stuff I can't remember the name of.

For what I do, it's just right. I chuckle every time I ride this old tech, 12 year old bike.

I basically do two types of riding: day shit around here in w. NC and big trips of 2-3 weeks in the west. If I'm going west, I haul it to a tent space (advrider where you can leave you haul vehicle) and then fan out on the bike. I don't interstate to get there because it's 2000 or so miles, and I want to get there fresh.

That way too much info that you didn't want?:rock:

ducnut likes this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I dig it... the Hyper's geometry is perfect for wrastling it around. You're running TKC80's? Any clearance issues with front fender? I'd love to put these on my Hyper, but don't want to ditch my CF fenders.

15. Scotty87

not at all, thanks for posting. I’ve been kind of casually serching for the right Triumph Explorer to come along, that was my plan for a touring/light ADV bike. Thing of it is, the Hyper is the bike that I really want and have wanted for years. I would use the Hyper way more around town for shenanigans and such, the Explorer would basically be a touring bike only. Kinda hard to justify as I only take 1-2 long trips a year. I’ve no Hyper freeway experience tho so it is somewhat of a gamble if I go that route.

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep, they work without a hitch with those fenders. The bad part is that the rocks and shit will break them off. The back one was broken off on Tincup Pass and the front one (back part of it) was broken off on the Brown Mountain OHV near my house. You do need a shock sock on the back. The interesting thing about those tires is that they have a lot of grip on the highway and you can surely lose the chicken strips on the outside knobs without any of them complaining. Do you remember when the Vintage Festival was cut short due to the hurricane? Well, I got to ride 8 hours home in the hurricane and those knobs were truly outstanding. I'd have probably died on any street tire in all that water.

Come ride mine up 181 with the Junkies and see how you like it.

Well, I suppose that's the conundrum. I wouldn't want to park something just for a once per year trip too. The Hyper is a "jack of all" type thing. It's not perfect anywhere, but it is good in a lot of different places. I never get tired of riding it. I guess that the thing that I like best is that I can go and do a significant amount of dirt stuff, but I can still blast down the highway when I want to. I sure do like to explore rather than just ride highways for a speed thrill. Now I like to look at shit. :D

motion likes this.
  17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks... 180 rear / 120 front?

18. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep. IDK how many F and R that I've had. The front wears at a little more than half the rate of the rear, but they wear mostly on the trailing edge of the knob. I have a spare set of wheels with a new set of Pilot Powers that will probably dry rot.

motion likes this.
  19. Scotty87

Im with ya. Although I would like too, I haven’t taken a solo trip yet so I’m at the will of a group, and each day usually has a good chunk of interstate in it. It’s especially bad when we go out west (from Chicagoland). There is goddamn nothing until central Colorado.

duggram and jrsamples like this.
  20. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Last week I finished the first two sections of the NMBDR on my '18 701 solo. So now I've ridden most of the NMBDR. I was going to sell this 701 to pay off a T700 I bought, but after I dropped the T700 in some mud and broke corners off of the right panel and tank cover which cost me $400, I sold the T700. The 701 was great for this kind of trip where a majority of it is freeway, fast highway and some of it is technical off road. The 701 is about 8o pounds lighter and has a few more horsepower than the T700. In the past I've owned a Super Tenere and I understand the concept of riding a heavy bike, but I don't want to ride a tanker. I want to enjoy riding a lighter bike off road. My 701 has been to Baja with me twice and I think it's still the perfect bike for a trip like that too.

ducnut likes this.