1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain to me: Yellow flags and canceled FP/QP laptimes

Discussion in 'General' started by Steady T, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

I understand why for the penalty for passing under a waiving yellow during a race, but why do I hear the MotoGP announcers stating a rider's laptime will be scrapped due to a waiving yellow...even if the rider is circulating that portion of the track all by his lonesome. Thanks.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

From what I gather, they cannot improve on their previous best sector time in any sector with a waving yellow.

Steady T likes this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

My understand is track personnel safety.

4. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Thanks, you two. That makes sense.

So...basically the yellows are there to say 'Slow your roll. We're out here taking care of some shit.'

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Yzasserina likes this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

And potentially also protecting the downed rider and the rider that could go into a gravel trap and hit a bike instead of just gravel.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There have been a few incidents of riders crashing at the same corner because they were still pushing. That’s really dangerous for everyone involved. IMO the riders couldn’t do what was safe all the time, so this new regulation is the result.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yep. Remy Gardner has a 6 spot grid penalty this weekend for that reason. They really mean it.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’m glad they’re using video to reinforce the rules between this and green line infractions.