1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Tracks suitable for WSBK or MotoGP

Discussion in 'General' started by prm, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

Bring back Oak Hill....sorry wrong thread :D

2. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

It seemed like I always had to get home Sunday night after VIR. I’d stop by Millie’s and order a pizza to go and eat a sundae while I waited. Eating to win:)

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Bikes on the track at Indy in 2 weeks, crowds are welcome. I think these will be a good races, people just need to get out there.

4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I don't know about MotoGP ready, but Utah was a WSBK track in the past and Road America was supposedly FIM approved from what I've heard for it, they just never held any events there for who know what reasons. I would think both of those, Barber and PittRace could host WSBK races without any issues, but GP might have more requirements that those tracks probably wouldn't be able to meet. Also...Daytona!! :D I'd love to see MotoGP bikes at Daytona but it would have to be like 5-lap races cuz the tires won't last lol

5. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Yep. Basically would had cut the track down from 4 miles to around 3.

6. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

And I also remember that Dorna wasn't too keen on the front straight. Maybe they were afraid that someone losing it in 1 would end up out on County J.

Steady T likes this.
  7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

If we're going to get silly, I'll throw in Loudon. :p

8. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Then I'll throw in Hallett.

sbk1198 likes this.
  9. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with Daytona?

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Do I even want to know the kind of money that is?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Million or more for GP.

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Better yet, Grattan. Hey, they ran GP bikes there with FUSA. So there's a few tight spots with run-off. Put your big boy pants on.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

For what? Motorcycle racing?

14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

As I remember it the only GP bike was Rich Oliver's TZ 250/350 hybrid. At it rained alot that weekend

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, I think we stopped FUSA at Grattan before the 500's.

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Blackhawk Farms!

Senna, rafa and sbk1198 like this.
  17. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

If they blow turn 1, they'll end up in Wisconsin.

Other than that, I don't see any issues.

rafa and sbk1198 like this.
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yep you're right but there was a 4 cylinder 500 GP racing WERA events around Grattan in that decade.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yes, Miller had full FIM certification for WSBK and MotoGP. They also had FIA for all levels but Formula 1 and had no desire to pave more runoff areas since an F1 race would never happen.
    I don't know if you have to keep certifying on a certain time frame, don't know if they have kept it up but nothing is different enough to keep them from getting it again if it expired. Don't know if there's any desire for it any longer.
    But as already pointed out, the spectator issue is what made it unaffordable for a promoter to continue bringing in WSBK, let alone pay for a MotoGP race.
    A one off here or there people would fly in for, but not on a yearly basis. The first couple WSBK events had good crowds, then they didn't.

20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do all the tracks have more than 1 thing wrong with them, making them unsuitable for GP. Not enough runoff somewhere and no trackside garages seems to disqualify all the good tracks. It seems like NASCAR, Indy, and AMA working without trackside garages for all these years has setup the whole US to not bring International series here. It sucks.