1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving/ racing school ?

Discussion in 'General' started by GarrettRick, Sep 17, 2020.

1. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

What sayeth the beeb regarding racing / driving schools? For cars .... I wanted to get my brother a fun bday present , thought it would be a fun idea . Don’t want to spend crazy money but a fun day or 2 where he can go hammer the skinny pedal ....
    I’ll probably join too , because I don’t want him learning how to beat me in karts.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I did a bunch of Skippy Barber schools way back in the day. If they are still around and if they can teach a nutball like me to get around in a cage to get around a track, they must have been good.
    I only ever did a hand full of car races but did okay.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Rent High performance car from Hertz.
    Full Insurance.
    Go to twisty road and have fun.

Eff it...its a rental thats insured. Just tell them deer jumped out in front and you tried to miss it.

5. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Team O'Neil in NH.

6. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Got my wife a school at mid Ohio but she hasn’t cashed in the gift certificate with all of the 2020 craziness. I’m excited for her

7. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

What’s the budget?

8. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

What part of the country?

GarrettRick likes this.
  9. Where he is at is a big part of the equation and your a good brother.

E Reed likes this.
  10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Porsche Diving Experience either at Barber or their place in Atlanta.

418 and TurboBlew like this.
  11. If he’s in our area there are a couple options which is why I asked location, not to mention when he plans to do it. Porsche at Barber is very cool, I’ve done it. BMW one is also very good as I’ve done that as well but hard to beat Barber, in a Porsche. It’s an odd feeling after being on a bike and having to forget your not on a bike and things like when you turn in, etc are different but their instructors are top notch.

12. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

The wife and I did a one day Hellcat school at Bondurant. They had a buy one, get one free, total was $1,600.

She still says it's the most fun and best gift she's ever had!

13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

When I was in school, I use to volunteer for PDE when they were at Rd. Atl. - Got to know some of the instructors and staff pretty well then they moved to Barber. That was about the same time I started working with STT so I saw them frequently as we would come in on Friday's toward the end of their days.

Anyway, due to my relationships, they would often let me take one of the cars out at the end of the day for hot laps at Barber.....holy shit that is fun but so different than two wheels. I even got to see the destroyed Carrera GT that a student lost control of one day.

But yet, their instructors are amazing. They taught me a TON about driving four wheels.

14. I’ve been fortunate to have some great 4 wheeled instructors including back when I did my first track day in my (Ex) wife’s new Acura TL.

15. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Budget , within reason . Not trying to drop $5k but want something more than a $500 lapping session on track .

As far as location , pretty much anywhere except the northwest . He’s an otr driver so can make his way anywhere .

16. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Gotcha. If $500 is the budget, then what the guys above said about the Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta (near the airport) would be a really good idea. They also have one of those in LA. You can pick the car you want based on the budget.

The full day or even half day driving "experiences" at race tracks tend to be over $1000.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Yes Skip is still around. 1st one I did was Bob Bondurant.

18. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

This.

Did 5 days at Bondurant. Those hellcats are a blast considering how much they weigh.