1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daytona 200 canceled

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Sep 11, 2020.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Right now, on Penn State University Park (main campus) there are 1157 comfirned cases. (1) of those cases is in the hospital. So scary, right?

SGVRider and kruizen like this.
  2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

OMG.....so 0.09% of the cases end up in hospital?!?!?!

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Just to be clear so this is apples to apples, there are 1157 active cases or there have been a total of 1157 cases? In other words are 400 or so of those no longer testing positive? Of those 1157 cases did only one need to go to the hospital or there is only one in the hospital now? How long has school been back in session in person? Many people that end up in the hospital for this don't end up there until after they have had the infection for weeks, so it would be premature to say only 0.09% of cases end up in the hospital.

It may be a good risk / reward to have the in person campus open, but to say so based on 2 statistics after just a couple of weeks would be premature.

sheepofblue likes this.
  4. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Actually, .001

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Good chance the city is involved (just a guess I have no insider info) as bike week had a huge crowd back when I went. Not just the speedway as some don't even go. However the event was somewhat unique AFIK with road racing, dirt track, motocross and rally event that is huge. Kind of the only one stop in the US for it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Kind of like closing the country and suspending rights on a educated guess (which has since been demonstrated to be wrong)?

condon66 likes this.
  7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I have yet to argue the D200 is a professional race or not... i don't give a shit if it's considered a professional race by the those posting on an internet forum. I STILL am waiting for someone to prove me wrong in regard to my initial post about this, that the D200 pays MORE MONEY than ANY motorcycle race in this country. Professional or otherwise.

CR750 likes this.
  8. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Supercross has the Monster Energy Cup every year which has a million dollar purse up for grabs (won three times).

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Greg most likely meant road racing.

and yes, dirty bikes pay more.

10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

OBJECTION!!!!, hearsay.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Well the Monster Energy Cup was cancelled for 2020, so it pays nothing this year.
    Also that $1m is for winning all three races, so not a purse for a single race.

12. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Talk about arguing semantics. Not my fault AMA has the dirty bikes doing 3 - 10 lap heats to determine an overall race win. Still need to do those 30 laps in one night to have a shot at the million. The "base" purse for the Cup is around $250k and the overall winner (even if they fail to win all 3 heats) is still taking home a minimum of $100k.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

well... the good news its ALL under the AMA umbrella...lol.

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes, aware of the monster energy thing, which ONE rider has a chance at.. and yes, i was speaking strictly roadracing.

Ducti89 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why do you keep acting as if anyone has said otherwise? Yeah it pays the most, no one gives a shit :crackup:

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

And the winner still doesn't get enough to fully cover the cost of running the race.....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is racing, that is what sponsors are for.

18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

well thats kinda true and kinda not true.
    No, its not going to cover you getting a brand new bike and building it for the race. However, if you already have a bike, a crew, etc in place then yes, you can absolutely make some money even after a tire bill.

If you are saying buy the bike, build the bike, hire a crew, etc, then of course not. But there is a LOT more money to be made racing that race than any motoamerica race.

These are all comments regarding a normal guy, not a factory team running.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

The answer is 8.6bps, which rounds to 0.09%.

While you can show it the way you did, I don’t know anyone that works in bps that would show 8.6bps as 10bps. If you’re showing basis points you’re being precise and rounding past .09% to .1% doesn’t seem all that precise to me.