1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer Features

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by prm, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

1. I just used good garage floor epoxy. I looked at the mats, but the price is INSANE for a 6'wide x 15' piece then add in the adhesive so it stays put.

2. Spray on undercoating works well to keep it from rusting.

DmanSlam likes this.
  2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Definitely helpful. Googling "swap out steel for aluminum"... :)

3. DmanSlam

Re #1, yeah, I'm looking for a reason to use other than the garage floor expoxy. It seems the best bang for the buck anyway. Just wanted to see what the 'coin floored' trailer owners' thoughts were. There's also roll-on bedliner -- Herculiner makes a brand that's highly-rated. I haven't priced it though.

4. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I have the coin flooring. I really like it.

TLR67 likes this.
  5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

:crackup:

My mower deck had some rust development. I pressure washed it, no further prep, and sprayed the effected areas with Rustoleum's Rust-Stop. I can't tell from a glance where that was and it isn't reappearing. Two coats, just cuz.

I think a budget has a lot to do with flooring. Me, being cheap cuz I haven't realized my full-on trailer build, simply bought some floor vinyl - less than 50% of the cost for coin mat. Cutting to size, I laid out a single piece covering most of the floor in a 6.5x14 v-nose. Some caulk around the edges kept any errant fluids from seeping into the wall/floor juncture and e-track kept it all in place (there's a strip of e-track at the tail, too)...I did not use any adhesives. That was 15 years ago.
    No, the vinyl can't take dragging heavy items with feet, like appliances, nor does it care for petroleum by-products - it can swell. Mine has tears (from letting someone move their appliances :rolleyes:), tire marks (from letting someone carry Harleys) but has, otherwise, withstood a test of time. If I spill chemicals, a quick wipe and all is good. The only downside has been wet shoes, but I can't recall ever having to catch myself...I've had worse luck on coin. The cheapest rolled vinyl flooring from HD in a nice wood pattern turned out to be a fairly decent idea.
    IMG_0354.JPG
    PSA: Never loan your trailer out, not even to friends. It will come back fucked up in some way.

DmanSlam likes this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The coin mat in my 6x12 is nice. It was factory installed. I have it on the ramp too. Haven’t slipped and spills easy to clean up.

Downsides:
    It is heavy.
    If you have to mount something like a TRS it is a bit of a mess to the drill through. This is minor and one time.
    If any moisture is getting under it, you won’t know it before it is really bad and it will be a major repair at that point. As in I will either be reflooring the entire ramp or getting a new trailer.

I will likely be going with a garage floor paint / protectant if I get a new trailer.

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Aero is overstated and it totally screws up putting shelves in the front, this from a v-nose owner.

8. fastfreddie

...assuming one wants to put shelves up front, then it's a matter of creativity and ingenuity.

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. DmanSlam

Thanks. Rust-Stop was my initial consideration -- not knowing of any other option.

AGREED. Most always. A co-worker once told me he only loans out hand tools to his neighbors and friends. If they break, you know who did it and when. With most anything else, the wear and tear still happens but (quote) "the break down may happen on your time and your dime".

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My trailer gets loans out two ways:
    1. Loaning it to someone knowing it will come back in as good or likely better condition than when it left. This list contains exactly two people.
    2. With me towing it and assisting / directing the loading. This is a longer list, as I do like to help people.
    I will loan some things out at the track, but they don't always get my best. My loaner tire pressure gauge reads 2lb high, consistently. I do tell them it is exactly 2lb high and I have a big piece of tape on the back with that written on it too in case they forget. I check my loaner against my good gauge each weekend and if the diff ever comes back as something other than 2lb, I will get the good one checked. I should probably pick up a 3rd mid-priced gauge so I know which one is off if that ever happens.

11. fastfreddie

It was the most expedient solution and seems to be working. For sure, ya can't knock the price, ease of use or minimal time investment.

I was actually looking for the stuff that turns the rust black but otherwise dries clear. That stuff is the bomb...it's what I would use for the underside of my Jeeps, if I could find it. Interestingly, it's water soluble for clean-up. Used to use it on ships, dries really hard, like baked enamel. They oughta just paint ships with that shit instead of those super pricey, whiz-bang epoxies that demand unavailable higher thought processes from the average shitbi-, uh, yardbird. :D

12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Oxisolve from Eastwood is what you’re describing I think.

DmanSlam likes this.
  13. fastfreddie

It's been so long since I used it, it might as well be called oxycontin. Prolly explains why I can't find it. :D