1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fender guitar question

Discussion in 'General' started by Norton 357, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

I am trying to find a guitar for my daughter who likes metal and electric blues. Her favorite now is her American made Strat but she has said she would love to have a Jazzmaster.

I have seen some new release Jazzmasters for around 1K but didn't know if they really sound like the originals. Do any of you players know?

I don't know squat about guitars but would like to find her something nice to keep at my house so she could keep me up late when she is over.

Any advice is appreciated. She says she is looking for a "darker sound" than her current Stratocaster, whatever that means.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Has she tried different distortion pedals first?

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Tell her to save some money and use that little knob marked "tone" on it. In fact I think she has two of those. The last thing you want her to do is start believing that different materials "tone woods" make an electric guitar sound different.

Stumpy likes this.
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Metal and blues: The Strat. Every day, all day.

F@cked up shit like I try and play anymore: I like the Jazzmaster (although the neck is smaller).

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What amp does she have?
    Any pedals?

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Or better yet, ask her to send you a video of who she wants to sound like and give us the video....

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You got a Guitar center near by?

There are other brands to try besides Fender. For under a grand you can get a killer Ibanez. Want to be the dad of the year? PRS SE (right around a grand, the base, korean made PRS but just silly on how good they are).

terminus est likes this.
  8. Norton 357

She probably has a half dozen pedals but I'm not sure how much she has played with them. She doesn't live with me anymore so I only see her every couple of weeks. She is 19 btw

Not sure what amp she is using now but I know she just bought a new one, she works at Guitar Center so she gets good deals on equipment.

I think the reason she got on the Jazzmaster originally was because they had a pink/paisley one come through and she fell in love with it. She was planning on buying it until Covid hit and she got layed off until recently.

I love the way her Strat sounds but she is turning into a guitar hoarder and can't get enough. My mom gave her a couple of early '90s Gibson J 30s too.

9. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Sounds like she wants to go from single coil to humbucker. There is a marked difference in sound between the two.

vfrket likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Man, I really have to tell you (she) has to try the Jazzmaster first. Like I said I like 'em but I'm a weirdo. Really, it's nothing like a strat and she could very well hate it.

11. Norton 357

I never heard of the PRS but they have some good looking guitars and priced right too!

12. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Fuck. No.
    Metal: Gibson SG
    Blues: Telecaster (or Gibson SG :D)

13. Norton 357

I'm not sure if she played the Jazzmaster that she saw at work but I feel sure she did. They buy in a lot of used equipment and they all try them out to see it they want to buy them before putting them out in the store.

14. Venom51

PRS builds a damn nice guitar. They now make them in lines that are non-rockstar affordability. That as not always the case.

vfrket and StaccatoFan like this.
  15. Norton 357

Does the Tele sound much different than the Strat?

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude!!!! They are freakin' awesome guitars and go see one in person. The SE series is reasonable, the others are, well, can be insanely priced (but worth it if you can play well enough to justify the price).

17. Venom51

Yes. But not because of the wood or shape of it. Pickups, what you plug them into and how you play is where the tone is.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap. Telecaster is more "twangy" while the Strat is more raw with a punch (depending on the pickups of course). Rock and blues, the Tele ain't it.

19. Norton 357

For her kind of music, am I looking for solid body?

20. Venom51

Robben Ford and Greg Koch would be offended by that. Lots of blues players using Tele or Tele style guitars these days.

stk0308 and noles19 like this.