1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey man, slow down and think.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 3, 2020.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Bump just because it's the best thread on this site.

DmanSlam likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep reading it as hey man slow down and drink...

3. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Sorry to read about the bad news in this thread but I would turn it around. CERTAINLY call if you need help as DaveK posted but the rest of us need to call others for no reason. I am VERY guilty of this, kind of runs on both sides of the family, and don't just call at times to say hi. I was recently criticized by a great friend about this. Consider that calling and saying hi might help keep someone from getting near the edge. It is easy to say 'call if you need help' but unfortunately when people get really bad they are also not quite right in their head (or they would never consider offing themselves) so expected them to make an obvious choice is not reasonable.

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

A good beginning, and reaching out to folks you care about for no apparent reason is always a good idea. I'm not so sure, however, that characterizing people as not quite right in the head is helpful? Speak softly, do boldly. Most importantly, listen.

JBraun likes this.
  5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I don’t know why we don’t have a million federal asylum beds to help people. There are that many who need it.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Depression isn’t schizophrenia and I’d suggest that institutionalizing depressed people is probably a bad strategy.

SpeedyE, sheepofblue and pscook like this.
  7. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Not true. My father’s depression was so bad he had to go in twice until his doctors found a medication combination and therapy type that would help him.

If it gets bad like his, a week long stay at a place that can help keep and eye on you isn’t a bad thing.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Call it semantics, but inpatient care and federal asylum are not the same thing.

SpeedyE and BrianC636 like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Night and day different.

10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

This thread hits so close to home. :(

11. sheepofblue

If someone is choosing to end it they are not quite right in the head. That does not mean it is permanent nor that you cannot help them. It is also not an indicator of their worth as a person. Oh and once they get back on the right track they might also be a godsend to others. A moment in time does not determine who you are.

SpeedyE and britx303 like this.
  12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ok, I know a lot of times I post goofy stuff or halfassdd responses........but here it goes. When I was 17 I had enough and got to the end. My mom was extremely abusive to me growing up, and she worked in the medical field. She always had loads of different prescriptions for who the hell knows what. Well I found her stash of muscle relaxers and pain killers. Basically chased 3 full bottles of those down with a case of beer hoping to never wake again.......damn near didn’t. I was found in my room barely breathing and almost dead. Ambulance got there just in time, from what I have been told. Stomach pumped, catheter out the you know what, etc. woke up 2 nights later with people around me in the ICU. Then the following day I had a psych doctor do some tests and ask a few questions........mind you my head was in a serious fog. He sent me to a psychiatric hospital, but I was just shy of 18,so I was put in the children’s/youth ward. THAT opened my eyes when I saw what kids as little as 10 were going through......absolutely tore me up inside and put it all into perspective. Once I settled in after a few days I ended up making the best of it and befriended all the kids that never had anybody to lean on. After 2 weeks, the doctors and counselors took notice of this and had a meeting with me about my release but also upon release to become part of life for the kids inside, to help them cope with outside life. I was able to break through for as many as I could, but not a few:( I swear I tried:(. My oldest had 3 failed attempts 3 years ago and was hospitalised for a bit. Now I’m going through it with the youngest and suicidal thoughts/threats:(I always thought my moms abuse was a huge part of my issues, but it seems like its genetic:(

scottn, sdg and sheepofblue like this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Because of my own fear of heights, I've always found it amazing that people can find the courage to jump. If it comes to that, I'm waiting as long as it takes to procure the right chemicals. No experimenting either.

I could see the Pentagon burn from my balcony on September 11. But the first tears I s were from watching people on TV jump off the World Trade Center. Couldn't stop thinking there could be people like me in there who chose fire over jumping. That seriously messed me up.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Fire or sudden hard stop from speed. Both are a eff'd up choice.

15. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Obviously I didn’t mean the asylums of the past. But a place that can help and they don’t really exist.

16. sdg

sdg *

I would go with the hard stop personally, not a doubt in my mind on that one.

17. sheepofblue

Definitely messed up as the end sucks for both. But the ride would enable me to jump if I thought there was zero chance of cheating the fire.

sdg likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’m thinking debating the best manner in which to learn if there is a god might be a little misplaced in this thread...

scottn, auminer and ton like this.
  19. sheepofblue

Everyone always talks of the horrors of the asylums of the past, however they ignore that many of those released became homeless and 'manage' thier issues with drugs and alcohol. The solution should be improved asylums not no asylums IMO but that ship sailed a long time ago. Oh and Dad worked at one of the old ones when I was very young. So I heard stories and certainly not all were bad, from the patient nor the worker side.

scottn and Quicktoy like this.
  20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I posted my number earlier. Give me a call if you need or want to talk. I have had some experience with teenagers expressing ideation or making attempts.