1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lever guard that mount from bar instead of bar-end

Discussion in 'General' started by lopitt85, Sep 12, 2020.

1. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Are there any that mount from the bar instead of the bar end? I have grown really comfortable with my screwdriver grip being out over the tip of the throttle so that the bar-end is basically in the middle of my palm while cornering. I tried adjusting my grip to allow for the use of standard lever guards that mount where the bar-end would be, but it is not comfortable for me.

Are there any that mount to the bar side instead of the bar end, so that I don't have to change my grip up?

2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

3. lopitt85

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I thought I saw some bar-end mounted ones that started by dipping straight down at the mount then curved back up to cover the lever. I imagine they were shaped this way for exactly the reason you're looking for an alternative mounting solution.

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There used to be another vendor that made one that bolted to the bar inboard of the throttle similar to the Dion Device, but it was ways simpler looking, like it was just a length of thin aluminum stock with a black plastic ball on the end. I could have sworn it was Apex Mfg that used to make it, but I don't see it on their site. Whoever made it was the only one that made one of this kind and I'm thinking it wasn't very effective so it was discontinued possibly.

EDIT: I was wrong, not Apex, it was GP Tech, and its still listed on their website....it's a somewhat unique design as you can see.

http://www.gptechllc.com/products/gp-tech/gp-tech-lever-protector

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. lopitt85

I think something like that 2nd pic would work if the end were to curve back to cover the tip of the lever. That looks to be too open on the end.

Edit: maybe I will just have to get used to the type that mounts in the bar-end. I have one that I can put on my street bike in order to help speed up my learning curve.

7. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

Woodcraft leverguards mount to the bar not the bar end. The location where the lever comes off of is not obtrusive either. The clamp is about the same size as the grip on the throttle tube so the screwdriver grip is smooth as well.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/woodcraft-right-side-hand-guard-assembly-brake/?sku=W|W15-0100RSA|0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgs7t-__l6wIVj5OzCh3NtQGSEAQYAiABEgL7KvD_BwE

edit: just realized I think you’re asking about lever guards mounting from the inside of the bar not the outside not the bar instead of the bar end. Sorry I’m running on almost 0 sleep lol

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Bargy used to have one... didnt see it on his site.

Is the course youre riding mainly rights? It was pointed out to me that the "Screwdriver grip" could get ugly if you lost the front.

9. lopitt85

Some of the tracks that I ride are right hand dominant. Just didnt want to mess with changing my grip if I didnt have to.

I'll give one that I have a try. I may try one that fastfreddie mentioned above that should be less intrusive to the screwdriver grip.

I guess there is a chance that that everything could get ugly if I lose the front...so it's a chance I'm willing to take :D

10. I use an exaggerated “screwdriver” grip also to help keep my hands and arms loose...and I always use those Woodcraft ones from STG (linked earlier in the thread).

They immediately angle downwards so they don’t inhibit your grip, then they angle up to do their job.

11. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I have the Graves Bar end lever guard. Has a straight drop from the end that won’t mess up your grip. Not cheap tho it’s 160 bucks but it’s a solution for your problem.

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Hmm, never realized that was the reason for the dropped ones. I'll have to try one.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

This looks more ergonomic than the Graves, $135.
    LPRR.jpg

14. lopitt85

I ended up ordering these from a guy out in California on ebay. They have that same drop from the bar to hopefully not interfere with the screwdriver grip.

20200913_211649.jpg

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

A nice feature on that model is that you can run a longer clip on tube and clamp the guard to the tube. I know on dirt bikes that the internal clamping style can come loose pretty easily, and the clamp "on" is a bit more robust. Plus if you low side the internal clamping function can get messed up, and if you run a longer clip on tube just leave a little tube extending outside of the clamp to protect the guard.

TurboBlew and lopitt85 like this.
  16. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

You are correct GPtech Racing llc Make this one. MotoGP approved and so did AMA. email [email protected]

E Reed likes this.