1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a track bike at 55

Discussion in 'General' started by Al Youngwerth, Sep 5, 2020.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The answer is two words...Kung Fu. You have to go with the flow...be water, my friend. :D

2. fat bloke

fat bloke Well-Known Member

Al I am 57 overweight and had a stroke a few years back, I ride a Triumph Thruxton, I have raced liter bikes, 600s 750s 250GP bikes big V twins the list goes on and on, these days ragging the crap out of my 60bhp 400lbs plus bike with bicycle tires and no brakes gives me all the jollies i need for a fat bloke with dodgy ticker and limited funds!

like many said go small have fun mate!

Attached Files:

TurboBlew, 969, roy826ex and 7 others like this.
  3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I was thinking Tuono...ergos to height to age to fun factor. Keep it stock and enjoy riding on the street.
    Bwhip's got a phenomenal RSV4 for sale. Check that bike out.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

695A9D7C-C2BE-4571-B65D-75330964121D.jpeg Go for it! My best years racing were when I hit my peak at early 50s. Fuck all these no/never/raced once here idiots. I raced a lot over a 17 year span against stout competition with very little under my tent as far as equipment goes.

I have a 100k wall like most wera racers do. I’m most proud of the A Superstock win I pulled off at Nola against a west big dog champion. RRW Mr. Ulrich contacted me about that one lol yea I did it.

Loved the regional races where I was on pole and the big dogs came to race and were not on the front row! Yes there was talk of things to cut me off by T1 lol none of that happened cause I mfukn owned the starts! Sure by lap two I was 3rd but who cares I murdered their hot dog asses on the starts. I know of a few bbs members I beat regularly on the starts who will not admit I owned your asses over and over on starts!

Point being this guy should race and my small victories will convince him to spend his retirement doing so fuck you losers on the starts I slaughtered y’all lol you know who you are! Cry me a river...

I’m outta here...go race man!

Killswitch and Al Youngwerth like this.
  5. fastfreddie

Just curious, what's your NOLA lap times?

roy826ex likes this.
  6. roy826ex

It’s on mylaps but my best without looking was 1:44 in change

Tracks a shit hole Now surface wise doubt that’s possible. Stock 11 GSXR1000 on Thermosman ohlins and a M4 slipon with livengood dyno tune. Yea I had no bike!

7. fastfreddie

That's movin'. :bow:

roy826ex likes this.
  8. roy826ex

A Michelin rear slick per lap almost unfortunately, Tman hated me going there. Water table is close to surface so a heated tire actually cold tears there unless it’s July or August.

9. Al Youngwerth

Al Youngwerth Member

Dude, that made me laugh so hard. I did race a season when I was 42 on supermoto at Miller Motorsports, vet class, on a well setup but stock motor KTM450SMR. I had a Maxxis tire sponsorship, not great tires but free was good. Had the lead going into the last round, threw it away in the first corner trying to hold onto the holeshot after my bike stumbled on the line. I got a second place trophy. I think I'm done with those days but...

10. Al Youngwerth

Al Youngwerth Member

Very good point. I looked up an Alpinestars suit, to get my height I am swimming in a 42 waist (I'm loose in a 36). Are there shops that modify an Alpinestars suit or do people typically go full custom? Where?

11. roy826ex

Glad I could shed light on what really happens on race weekend. What seems to not mean much at the time in reality is way bigger than you think especially during a Wera race weekend.

When your mid pack barely finishing your a hero in your circle. Start winning and doing other things that others cannot do and suddenly you’re and outcast. Seen it happen on track racing, track days or simply off road riding with what you thought were your buddies.

Watch your back!

12. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep.

roy826ex likes this.
  13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I want another thruxton!!! Loved my ‘05!

14. fastfreddie

Try RS Taichi. They used to be known for very slim fit suits, don't know if that's still the case. I think Kushitani, too. Not sure if either come in as tall as you.

I've had two custom suits, one from Z Customs, the other from Vanson. A Vanson rep took my measurements and I used Z Customs' guidelines, following them to a T. Neither fit well...too loose, virtually everywhere. I don't want to have to dick around with alterations after the fact.

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've always liked the fast/slow/fast progression of what bikes to own in your development as a rider. Start on a relatively fast bike and be overwhelmed with all of the new things going on, but having a blast. Eventually, you'll get to where you're starting to be really competent with your racing line, but maybe aren't able to fully manage tire traction at the limit. Move to a slower bike: now start really seeing just how deep you can brake into a corner while still leaning pretty hard. Tuck the front, slide the rear, then tuck the front again all in the same corner, but learn how to catch it. Finally, move back to a faster bike and start putting it all together. Really learn how to find the balance of mid corner traction vs. getting the bike stood up to get drive out with all the added power.

mram0256, Al Youngwerth and Clay like this.