1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FB Marketplace horror stories

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Sep 8, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Oh crap, a snowmobile. I was thinking ChampCar :(

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I saw your front yard this morning. An Indy 500 is just what you need. :D

3. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Tell her your lawyer, who goes by the name "Swingline" will be over shortly to defend your position

Ducti89 likes this.
  4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Give her the $20 back and say keep the seat

5. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

For the most part, I now just donate anything that has a value less than $200. It's not worth dealing with the hoards of fucktards and scammers out there on Craigslist and Facebook. Just don't donate to Goodwill.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

tl;drm Got Karen probs???
    I have 4,982 facebook squadron friends...I can activate them in an instant... on your command! As @Metalhead says EFF zuck or is it WWF sucks? :)

Gino230 likes this.
  7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Here in PDX we have the Community Cycling Center. Any donated parts get validated/checked and then re-sold.
    The funds go to support the shop, and have a "bikes for kids program" where kids under 8 get a free bike at Christmas.

I have given them a lot of old bike parts that were still serviceable and well cared for. Saves me the hassle of dealing with ebay/craigslist/fb-marketplace.

E Reed and SundaySocial like this.
  8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Don’t deal with these people. When you engage with them they just keep going. Just tell them to bring it back if they want their money back, or not and then don’t respond to anything else.

USracer900 and rd400racer like this.
  9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Am I the only person that gets the buyer that thinks I'm running a delivery service ?

I get that guy EVERY single time.

Kyle Brosius, BigBird and Pixelator like this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

When I sold my crf450, I was ready to just keep it... the shit I got offered...

Patience paid off though, right buyer came along and appreciated it for what it was and was happy to pay asking price

best was the kid that offered an 80s Yamaha dirt pile and $300 cash

BigBird likes this.
  11. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

FUCK selling anything nowadays. Never had an issue selling a car or bike or whatever a few years ago. Had that 3000GT for sale. Dropped it down to $1k for a running, drivable car with the two issues clearly laid out. Got stiffed on eBay by someone in Portland who didn't want to pay transportation from Ohio. Second offer guy was a scammer. Facebook had a bunch of people who would set a time and not show. One kid finally shows up. We went step by step over everything, agreed on the price. Shows up, drives the car, no surprises, everything fine. Then proceeds to list the issues that were clearly written in the ad and discussed in our messages and offers 1/3 of the price previously agreed on. Backs his price up about how he bought a wrecked but running WRX for about the same money. Just told him we were done, got in the car, drove away with him still standing in the parking lot. 2-3 months it took of BS to sell the car.

Not having any better luck selling the ST's. Three times now someone makes arrangements to come see the bike, then cancels the morning of or the night before. Really need a "Report Buyer" feature as much as anything to let other people know not to deal with these degenerates.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    RichB likes this.
  12. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreeing with both of these comments.

USracer900 likes this.
  13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Did you consider to tell Karen to go fuck herself?

14. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Just found out you CAN report buyers on FB marketplace for things like scam, no show, lowballs, harrasment.

CRA_Fizzer and USracer900 like this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Dude that's like a bar of solid gold in the Upper Peninsula

Dan Dubeau likes this.
  16. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I sold a set of toolboxes on FB earlier this year. I listed them on CL too, but didn’t get one response compared to a ton on inquiries on FB.

One scam I did encounter went as follows: some guy made an offer. I declined, saying I thought my price fair, but would consider his offer if nobody bought the boxes.

A day or so later, I happen to check my ad and there’s a note from FB that something is wrong with my listing. But, they don’t tell me what is the matter. As far as I can figure, the guy who made me the offer subsequently reported my listing. FB then renders my ad invisible on the marketplace. But, FB’s selling engine is not very sophisticated so they never sent me a notification saying something was amiss with my listing. I figure this was the guy’s plan and he was aiming to contact me in a week about his offer to see if my boxes had sold.

I would have never noticed had I not clicked on my own ad. Sneaky.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I agree too. Seems like the used motorcycle traffic has moved from CL to FB in my area. I’ve checked profiles of guys selling bikes and they have pictures of themselves riding wheelies and doing burnouts. You can certainly also get an idea if he’s the kind of guy who takes care of his stuff.

DmanSlam and Phl218 like this.
  18. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Yep. That's exactly what I should have done. Learned my lesson on this one.

19. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Essentially, but I didn't put it as tactfully as you did. Wish I would have!

rd400racer and Sabre699 like this.
  20. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I always had luck buying stuff on FB.
    Selling stuff I didnt have any major problems, the "is this still available" is default questions from FB is someone inquires about the product. Large priced items I usually make sure to negotiate the price before the person even shows up, im not going to spend time dealing with a person in my driveway.
    Lower priced items I just give away to friends. The couple hours one would spend dealing with FB bs is not worth it

USracer900 likes this.