1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why has Jonathan Rea........

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee57, Sep 7, 2020.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I don’t think his being English is holding him back. MotoGP is needing more English competitors. If Cal were to retire, there’s no one left really. Rea is probably getting a bit old for a top team to match what he’s making in SBK.

But I must admit, if I was Ducati, I’d be writing a blank check for Rea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My understanding is because he’s not really English but Northern Irish he doesn’t have the same appeal that a Crutchlow has.

BigBird and stk0308 like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Rea is not leaving Kawasaki. They got him for the rest of his career and beyond.

Shocker and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

These guys are really splitting hairs here aren't they? I'm not sure if Rea could win a GP title necessarily, but I would bet that given a 2 year shot, he'd definitely be competitive on an already developed bike. I think that was always his point anyway. He's mentioned before he would only go if given the right opportunity. And let's face it, as of the last couple of years (these past 2 weeks barred) Ducati has been the only bike anyone other than marc has really wanted to be on with hopes to win the title.

5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ditto. No reason to leave a perfect job for an unknown.

Pixelator and evakat like this.
  6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Marc makes a mistake, and any one of four brands could win the title. See 2020.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Which four? Marc makes a mistake and Honder can not win the title. :D

Shocker, Quicktoy and Sweatypants like this.
  8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Not Aprilia :Poke:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't know, it looks fast and is a huge improvement over the last Aprilia. With a different rider (cough cough Dovi) it might challenge for a win now and again.

But yeah, not gonna win a championship any time soon.

10. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

He got a 7 and an 8th, each time being the last or second to last proper running MotoGP bike and only beating CRT bikes, and Rossi when he had given up on the Ducat

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Rea is great in WSBK but if anyone thinks he would be a GP championship contender, I would say they are being overly optimistic. While he did win the SBK ship last year and appears to be en route to a repeat this year, The two guys who are giving him fits were also-rans in GP (between the two of them, only 5 podiums and 0 wins across a combined 14 years in GP). And those guys are doing it their first year on a brand new to them bike while Rea has been on the same bike 5x longer. Yes he's beating them but not by much. I suspect given 3 years in GP, Rea could match Crutchlow's performance. Some decent points finishes, a few podiums, maybe even a win or 2 in the right conditions. But no higher than 5th in the championship.

motion likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So you're saying he'd have the pace ... :D

BigBird, Shocker, Quicktoy and 4 others like this.
  13. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

14. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

every weekend lol

15. Doesn’t he have a 5 year contract? He’s sitting back laughing getting paid in the minors while only a small handful in gp are making anywhere near what he’s making.

ShadowBoxer likes this.
  16. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider WSBK the minors, more like equal top tier of their individual classifications. Production vs. Prototype.

stk0308 and Sabre699 like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They didn't release the number of years in any of the announcements (that I can find) but it covers him while he's racing and after he retires. He'll be Mr. Kawasaki for quite a few years to come.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Dudes making 2mill a year, plus sponsor money.. I’d say riding out KRT for the rest of his career is a safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Well, let's see. Stay where you are and keep winning while cashing big checks, or go to MotoGP knowing that redtail racing has already proved, beyond any statistical doubt, that you will fail miserably? Sounds like an easy choice. I still say peak Bayliss beats peak Rea like Chuck Barris gonging a ukulele playing midget on a unicycle, but maybe I'm just old.

SuddenBraking and Potts N Pans like this.
  20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I wish Cal was sponsored by Pace Picante Sauce. He would be promoting them/it every sentence!! :D