1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maine Weekend Getaway

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Sep 5, 2020.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Jed’s right. My father is a Green Mountain Boy, fucking tourists. :crackup:

Sun Country does have flights into PWM and they’re cheap fares. I’m still gonna drive. :D

2. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I’ve been to Maine a handful of times, but have nothing of value to add to this thread. I just wanted to comment and that lobster rolls should be their own food group. Enjoy!

3. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Do not waste your time at Red’s Eats. $20 for cold lobster on a hot dog bun. What a waste of money.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Man, I remember back in the good ol’ day’s riding my bike to the corner store and grabbing a Cole’s crabmeat sandwich. About 1/2” an inch of crabmeat on a plain hamburger bun for 99¢. To this day I’ll still take crabmeat salad over lobster salad.

casjoker likes this.
  5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'll check with some good friends who left GA to take over his Dad's BnB in Maine. They used to have family cooking gatherings here. Awesome folks!

6. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Who here is from Maine originally? I lived in East Millinocket until 8th grade, graduated from Richmond and last worked in Greenville. Moved to TN in 2006. Friggen cost of living up there is brutal. I do miss the lifestyle/outdoors (minus the black flies and mosquitos )but can't see moving back until I retire. Sucked going to work at 5 in the morning, -15, dark as a boot and returning home at 5 in the afternoon to the same darkness and temp...LOL.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

This guy.

Grew up in Rockland, moved out of state at 24 and haven’t made a wise decision since. :D

casjoker likes this.
  8. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

I pulled into Rockland on a boat in 2018, iirc. My crew and I had been on the water in the sun for a few days and all we wanted was a dark bar and cold beer. We found that at the Myrtle Street Tavern. It was perfect; a divey bar for guys who work on the water. The big surprise? There was a blond girl tending bar who was an honest-to-God 9 out of 10 hottie. My friend and I were both like, "what and the f*&$ is a girl like that doing in a bar like this?" And, she was charming. There was some kind of story. She'd been living in NYC and had boyfriend in South America but was "taking a break" and had returned home for a bit. I don't remember exactly, but what a treat to have her friendly face serve us a few beers for the night.

I returned the following year and my Dad was with me. You can be sure he had heard my story and he suggested we visit the ol' Myrtle Street drinking hole. Alas, the girl was gone, and it was just a divey bar full of fishermen. The beer was cold, though. And they have popcorn.

9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

My wife grew up in Greenville.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Myrtle House. Not just for sailors and whores. :D

My aunt is a well established fixture there. I stopped in in 2018 as well when the kids and I were in town for Lobster Festival. Yeah, it’s not the Myrtle House of old. Rockland used to be a pretty rough and tumble town when fishing was more prevalent, and when the boys came in from a couple weeks offshore they needed to unwind.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My mom's side of the family is from Edmunds. The only relatives left there are dead and buried. I spent my summers as a kid at Head Beach.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Maine is the only state I haven't been to. We plan to do the NE tour in the next year or 2.

13. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

We flew into Portland for the night, then drove up to Bar Harbor for the week. Portland was “ok”. No need to go back there. The drive up to Bar Harbor was nice, stopping for some time in Newcastle. We went late Sept and is was the last week much was open. So our hotel just upgraded us and we had the best waterfront private unit with a great deck in Bar Harbor to see all the boat traffic. Hit up Acadia and do the sunrise on Cadillac Mtn. Get there early to get a good parking spot. Thursten’s Lobster Pound was fun. Maybe do a sea kayak half day tour around Acadia. Next time, I would just fly into Bangor instead of Portland. While we were out there, I did wonder what the fuss was, because it’s not much different than Wisconsin and Da Yoo Pee, but with time, I do want to go back.

14. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Totally agree, it seems like Wi or west side of Mi. Every time I’d go out there, I would say the same thing.

I would say stop at Moody’s diner for some eats. Good grub and pie there.

casjoker likes this.
  15. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Cept for we ain’t gots no lobstah heah.

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Well done Wisco. :D

Funkm05 likes this.
  17. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I live in Bar Harbor. Come say hi