1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I checked and they are the 35L bags. They expand a lot more than I needed so I did't come close to their max capacity.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Did you carry rain gear or was your jacket/pants water resistant/proof?
    If you carried, what did you use?

3. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I wore a mesh jacket and pants. Made by Firstgear. It's really a street suit but it worked fine. It does have a rain liner but it won't keep out much water if the rain is heavy. I used the liner as a wind block when the temps were cooler. When I wasn't using the liner I just shoved it in the top of one of the side bags.
    I also carried my yellow PVC Dryrider suit that is 25 years old. I kept in the top of one of the side bags. It's a little rough around the edges but still keeps most of the water out. It is not something you want to wear when the weather is hot.
    In the 5 days of riding we never hit rain so I didn't have to dig out the Dryrider. It was super dusty most of the time.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

your bags on the T7 look like 25L Backcountry's too? I've been thinking seriously of ordering the Scout 25L here soon. I don't really understand what the advantage is of the Backcountry though.

5. fastfreddie

Just a PSA...
    I noticed something in duggram's pic (nice bike, btw)...that bag on the seat with what looks like hard parts could be an ass opener in an Hail Mary event. Just a suggestion, y'all might want to pack hard parts with "pointy" ends in as safe a direction as feasible.
    Along those lines, if traveling with just backpacks/buttpacks, any tools, tent stakes, etc. carried within should, particularly, not be orientated in a fashion that facilitates their ability to do harm.
    NO THREE FOOT SCREWDRIVERS! :D

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Buzzkiller.

7. fastfreddie

Allow me to explain...
    Although three foot screwdrivers are a "quick access" item, due to their dangerous nature, they should be mounted separately in their own sheath, preferably, mounted to a fork or across the handlebars. ;)

8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

The Backcountry mounting system is different at least as far as I can tell from looking at the pictures of the Scout. The BC has a backing plate on the bag that slides onto the backing plate mounted on the bike. It is a very secure connection and there is a latch the prevents them from sliding apart. It makes removing the bag very simple. It looks like the Scout uses a carrier system mounted to the bike that wraps around the bag and then buckles to secure it.
    The BC is also consists of a dry bag that goes inside the outer canvas pannier so there are two layers. It is very rugged. It looks like the Scout is just a dry bag that is placed into the carrier; this leaves some of the dry bag exposed.

cBJr likes this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I did go do a little digging today and saw some of the features you've described on the Backcountry. The outer canvas seems like it would be protection I wouldn't necessarily need. I figure if I tear up a dry bag, I'll just buy a cheap replacement.

The mounting system on the Scout being stuck on the bike doesn't really bother me. I have this idea that I'll be happy to leave the Scout carrier on the bike all the time. It seems like it would be a handy way to carry something in a pinch. I'm convinced I could throw a case of beer in there and cinch it down if I was out getting groceries. It seems to fold up tight against the mounting plate, so it doesn't seem it would look bad that way either.

Rising likes this.
  10. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

I think the BC are more durable. I know me and I'm sure I'll rough them up. The big thing for me was the mounting frame. Those bags come off quick and easy, no fusing with a bunch of straps. They can be locked on too but don't intend to do that. The frames can also mount up to hard panniers incase I need them.

cBJr likes this.
  11. duggram

My '08 FJR could carry a 30 pack on each side in the OEM hard panniers.

cBJr and rd400racer like this.
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Heading over to West Virginia for a few days to ride with my son. First time with the Kendon and the Pilot, going to be interesting. Felt a little squirrelly heading into the office this morning but it's the first time I've ever had this rig together and loaded. I'm in no hurry getting over there.

[​IMG]

gt#179 likes this.
  13. Tires for friends bike. 19 crf 450l. Lots of twisty roads here and does probably 75% on road and not an accomplished off road guy. Would not need anything crazy for off road. Money not an issue so don’t need cheapest tires.

14. duggram

Last Friday I delivered my T700 to the new owner that flew into ABQ. I rented a 12' Uhaul and pulled it with my Wrangler. I was surprised at how stable it was. That's got me to thinking about a small enclosed trailer for the bikes.

After dropping the T700 a few times in mud and jacking it up, I decided that my 701 is enough for me. At least as much HP as the T700, 80# lighter and definitely handles better off road. I knew I couldn't keep both the 701 and T700 so it had to go, plus I almost broke even on it.

rd400racer likes this.
  15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Dunlop D606 should be adequate. Popular with the WR250R Dual Sport crowd. Anything on either side of that tire will be "too much knob" or "not enough knob." It's a good compromise tire.

16. duggram

There are the new Tusk Dsports which are described as similar to the D606. I put a set on my 701 for the Baja trip this spring. They have at least 1,500 miles on them now. The rear looks like it has more than half of its life left. I like that I only paid about $55 each for them.

17. Thanks gents. Probably order some Lops for him. Bike came with a Yosh pipe and power commander not even installed plus a crap load of other stuff. He bought it off a guy who needed cash. He has a crf250l which I told him not to get and it was too slow even for him. He bought it pre Covid and already has offers for more than he paid for it. I’m actually looking forward to riding this 450.

duggram likes this.
  18. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Sooooooooooooooo,

A report? On the ride, . . . and the tow (that's a lotta bike(s) on the Kendon), but principally the ride. Looks like a GSA and a new-to-son-Tenere loaded on the trailer.

Local gravel/dirt with a friend this Thursday, followed by the MABDR Friday thru sometime next week with friends. Providing weather cooperates, should be good times. Fun, fun.

Cheers,

Dave

19. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Any idea if there is anything a little more on the street side, but not quite all the way to 50/50? On the WR250R I got in the spring, I went though the stock Trailwings. They were passable after I took my tire groover to them. The front wasn't my favorite, although I'm open to any "user error" riding advice. I found myself applying the Cornerspin "push the front" drills more than ideal and in places substantially less safe. But, on the flip side, I actually liked them quite a bit on pavement, both in the dry and wet. Now I'm about 30% of the way through a set of D606, and it seems like that balance has flipped. They are as advertised off-road. On pavement, I pretty much want to get to and from the dirt without much fun in between. Is there something better? Should I admit there isn't and find a 2nd set of wheels for whenever I want to do anything more challenging off-road?

Unrelated, you guys weren't kidding. SoCal is full of places to go. If you could tell from above, I'm already through one set of tires. Last weekend, I explored Corral Canyon OHV, as much as I was willing being by myself with an inreach. But, I'll probably sit tight for a while. Lots of riding areas are in, near, or could be fires. The area in the background (pic taken last weekend) is now the Valley Fire.

IMG_4056.jpg

20. So I have the R1200gs for another week and weather looks good, maybe I will actually get to ride this week.

turner38 likes this.