1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping/cargo containers

Discussion in 'General' started by drop, Sep 3, 2020.

1. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Anyone in the east Tennessee/north Georgia area in the business? I'm looking to purchase a 40 footer..I'd like to buy from someone on here if possible.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Remember, the purchase price is one thing. Having it transported to your place may double the cost.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

The yards for these things are everywhere.
    Ask about delivery to your location.

4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Ya that's kinda what I was thinking. Seems the cheap price is to entice you to buy. The delivery is where they make the money up.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

I've seen them being moved on roll backs. Like tow trucks. Just fyi

6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

My 40-foot container was delivered for $300 approximately 75 miles. That's about average here in southern California however I got quotes up to $600.
    They move them on everything from flatbeds to personal diesel pickups with fifth wheels.
    I would by one of the highboy versions if it is in your budget an extra 1" vertical clearance is awesome my friend has four of them and they're just great.
    Make sure your pad is 100% level and decide whether you wanted it raised off the ground or on the dirt.
    Railroad ties are a decent option. If I ever redo/move mine.. I will raise it up off the ground I like the idea of having some space underneath it.
    Take it from my mistake.... 1st & foremost.
    But a container that is 100% water tight and good...w no roof damage whatsoever.
    My $1800.00 (40'deal)... Has cost me to lose 1/3 of my possessions and it's easily going to cost me $1500.00 to fix the leaking roof. I knew better but I was on a budget and I also looked like a deer in the headlights to The container salesman. you showed it to me at night with a flashlight, It was delivered with Approx 40 sheet metal plates on the roof that had been screwed in and every plate has 4-6 screws which created new leaks. Salesman
    told me it needed a little work to make a completely waterproof ...but basicallyit was easy to do.... Lol..... He...lied.....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Phl218 likes this.
  7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

When I bought my delivery was included in price. It was local so he did not drive too far, just few miles.
    Keep in mind this things sweat and drip inside, at least where I am. Stuff I have inside rusts more than stuff I have outside :)
    Might want to add vents or cover roof.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I buy 40' High Cubes in good shape for $800-$1200 at auction. I do 2-3 coats of cool seal on the roofs. As far as getting them delivered, I've used a 40' Gooseneck equipment trailer. Any hotshot driver can haul them. We've unloaded them with a forklift and also used wood poles and rolled them off the trailer.

9. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Found a place that just started selling them within 2 miles of my house. The 40 footer leak and water tight are 2300 bucks.

I'll find out hopefully within the hour the delivery charge.

10. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Thats half of the price they sell them for up here. We are usually in the $100 a foot area.

11. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Yeah here in California there are about three to four grand on average

You're a hot commodity right now especially with everybody not be able to afford homes anymore....

12. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Will I get the ban hammer if I post a link?

Actually I misread.

20 footers 2200
    40 footers 2750

Wind and water tight.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I used to buy the certified brand new and food grade containers by the dozens in a previous job. My "guy" says single trips are ~ $4000 out of Baltimore but I assume you don't need that.

Everyone has covered the sour points of buying these things (delivery being the main one).

My guys would use them once, cut them up and toss the scraps out for the locals to pick up, except for the door. Those would come back and be tossed overboard.