1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'General' started by MkImroth, Sep 1, 2020.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Then when you get everything ready for the track hang a for sale sign on it and get a clapped out sv 650. Your competitive spirit won't appreciate the kawi for very long

MkImroth likes this.
  2. notbostrom

This also because a second set of eyeballs on a new racers bike is always a good thing

jrsamples and MkImroth like this.
  3. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Where in NJ a are you located? I'm in Essex county, more than happy to help out if you are in the neighborhood

MkImroth and Ducti89 like this.
  4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

OP: do a Google / Facebook search for Danielle Diaz. She raced a (borrowed) Kawi 650 for ~ 2 years in 2018 and 2019. Might be able to pick some things up by looking at photos of how that bike was race-prepped.

MkImroth likes this.
  5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

@Monsterdood runs the kawi650 pretty sure, and Zoran used to have them on the team. Then there is @BigBird who I hear is on the long plan to the grid :beer:

BigBird and MkImroth like this.
  6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Okay, I’ll make you the deal of the year, get your AMA membership if you don’t have it, and I’ll get you a crew credential for the MotoAmerica Twins Race at NJ in 1.5 weeks, and in exchange for helping me as crew, I’ll go over everything you might need to know on racing the Kawi, show you how to prep the bike, and give you an intro to racing. Mine is a 2009, but it’s not that different from your 2012. And ignore @regularguy when he just tells you to throw the bike in the trash and get an SV... DM me if interested. Maybe @BigBird wants to crew for me again too! Then it will be a full Kawi posse.

rk97, evakat, TurboBlew and 7 others like this.
  7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Also, I have my old ZX-6 front end (not MA legal) we could work out a deal on too if you’re ever interested. 05 ZX-6 with radial brakes and GP Suspension valving. Just collecting dust at the moment.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Little known fact. I had just had my wisdom teeth removed that morning and had been put under. I was still drugged as shit when putting that together. :D

9. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

That was you?! Great guide.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep. I don't know about great. I got better at it just as I said others would in the write up. Someone in the aircraft industry would probably give me a 4 out of 10. :D

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'll give you a 3. Just because.

12. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

Shoei rf1200, bought it a couple years ago, never been dropped. As for other bits you mentioned in following post..clip ons are woodcraft, brake lever is vortex and covered with woodcraft lever guard/slider, clutch lever is stock. Rearsets I cheaped out on but I can fab woodcraft spares to work with what I have.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  13. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

There are plenty of knowledgeable race shops in the area. I can think of 4 right off the top of my head. If youre not comfortable with that stuff, poke around or pm me. Youll need to build a relationship with a shop sooner than later, especially with suspension.

MkImroth likes this.
  14. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

I appreciate the offer, I actually did a front end conversion on my own last winter with a 2007 r6 front end. I have racetech springs in it and a nitron r2 shock in the back. She handles pretty good now especially with my heavy ass on it! Check your DM's!

Monsterdood likes this.
  15. MkImroth

MkImroth Member

I don't know of many. I like working with Ron at Washington Cycle Works, he has helped me out a couple times and we had a great conversation about geometry when I was getting my supercorsa td mounted/balanced. Now that i think of it, ill see what his price/advice is for safety wiring. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  16. notbostrom

Check the date on your helmet. After a certain number of years you won't pass tech

MkImroth likes this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Just say no to lightweights. :D

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Annnnnnd......we're off!

G 97 likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

And that’s why you ride a Hardley...

[​IMG]

G 97 likes this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's a fantastic offer OP. I had a fantastic time working crew with @Monsterdood and family last year. I'll let you know if I can, but OP, you can't get any closer to racing than working crew, except riding in the race.

TurboBlew and MkImroth like this.