1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing classes and riding enjoyment

Discussion in 'General' started by ilikebass, Sep 1, 2020.

1. ilikebass

ilikebass Active Member

I'm not with WERA anymore as I moved out west, but the 2 series I race with now is not too different. On a 675 I am racing the novice middleweight, novice heavyweight, amateur middleweight, amateur heavyweight, and the amateur money races, sometimes thunderbike also. So I am having fun racing a lot of classes and am doing well, will be going into expert either next year or earlier if they make me. So just a few questions about bike choice.

I am interested in stepping up to a 1000, but there are a few considerations, namely:

Cons:
    1. Less classes to race in
    2. First year as an expert and jumping to a liter bike at the same time might be pretty tough
    3. Cost of bike is a lot more than a middleweight
    4. Cost of tires (assuming rears will be replaced more often, although I'm already doing rears every weekend)
    5. Higher risk level, faster speeds, more likely high sides
    6. A lot of experts in the unlimited classes are changing tires way more often than I would, the level of competition is higher and to compete I might need to compete financially as well, like they seem to be
    7. I just recently got the 675 dialed in the way I wanted it and it feels really solid finally

Pros:
    1. Skill wise I think I'm ready to handle it
    2. I'm only a second or so off the fastest guys on 600's and I'm still an amateur (novice in some orgs)
    3. I'd get to further develop my riding skills by taming a real beast
    4. I hate to admit it but it's a bit more prestigious to be competing on the big bikes
    5. I could take advantage of the recent advancements in electronics to keep it "safe"

So I know overall it's just a decision of what I want to be doing with my racing "career" but just wanted to get some thoughts on this. Did some of you step up and miss the 600's, did you end up going back? Is racing middleweights more fun? People say that the 1k's need a lot more attention, which makes sense, and it is generally more nerve racking to ride them. This could be fun or this could be stressful, or both! When does it make the most sense to move up in displacement?

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Amateur racing is unstructured by design, to allow people to race what they want.

So do what you want.

[​IMG]

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

For the most enjoyment you need to race a clapped out SV. :D

Phl218, 5axis, Sabre699 and 1 other person like this.
  4. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I started racing on a liter bike and absolutely loved it! I switched to a 600 this year mainly due to costs. The grids in the middleweight class typically are 30-50% larger then the big bikes (my area) and I have alot of buddies in my class. Also, racing a 600 has made me a better rider but to be honest, the cost savings have been minimal. Like you stated, you still are putting on a rear every race which won't change on a big bike and they cost even more (200).

The biggest notice in the 2 bikes to me was how much more physically demanding the liter bike is to ride fast. When that bucking bronco starts shaking it's head and ass every corner, it will drain you much faster then on a 600. I can ride at race pace longer on a 600 then I could a 1000. That's more a testament to my conditioning but it is noticeable. The electronics certainly help with your concern on high siding but doesn't eliminate it.

It comes down to whatever makes you happier. Costs will be higher, but I do agree, trying to tame the monster is a feeling that I will never stop missing... If costs weren't an issue I think I would still be on my liter bike.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Great! Now you can really learn to ride, and work on developing your individual riding style - you and the bike having adjustments made as necessary along the way.

You have an opportunity to increase your knowledge and understanding of the dynamics involved with riding at the pointy edge. Why hamstring yourself by jumping on a bike that brings an whole other set of variables that immediately push the pointy end further away?
    You wanna have fun on a 1000? Buy one for track days.
    You wanna be a better/faster rider? Stick with what you have and put it on the podium.

gixxerboy55 and wheelz96 like this.
  6. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

My advice is stick to the 600 through your first year as an expert. This will reduce a huge variable. It would be a lot to be developing / learning race craft on a new bike while also doing your first expert season.

I've raced every class except the 1000s. I've gotten some good seat time and really want to buy and race one for a season, so I totally understand your desire!

7. ilikebass

ilikebass Active Member

I'm already on the podium every race and am passing experts also. If I were to grid up with the experts instead of behind them like how it's done here, I would be close to being on podium in their class also. I certainly have a lot to learn either way, but I feel like changing bikes after this season ends might be good for me in terms of growth. The other side would be to just race the experts next season regardless of how much competition I get, further develop skills, then step up to a 1k.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, until you are putting it on the box regularly in expert classes there isnt much point racing anything other than lightweight stuff unless you are a plus size rider. youll just spend more money and learn less.
    Again, IMO

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's my suggestion.
    1000s are the bomb-giggity, but you'd be starting all over getting the bike set-up to your level of satisfaction.

10. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Are other novice riders as competitive against experts? You're either ahead of the bell curve, or your grids don't have a huge disparity between novice and expert. The main club I race* with has a fairly large disparity between the classes. The expert bump is a big step, and especially so on the big bikes. One of the more recent rounds (February) had 12 of our top 13 in the main race that hold MA licenses (almost all names you'd recognize).

My points it, it might not be as big of a deal to make the jump and switch bikes at the same time. Depends on how competitive your grids are and what the difference is between classes.

* Having a kid has put this on a hiatus. Be back out there soon!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I’d run what you’ve just got finished dialing in and race the wheels off of it in expert 600 classes. And passing experts at the back of the pack is one thing......but are you weaving through and catching the experts up front?

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:stupid: :beer:

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Most guys just skip the 1000 and go straight to MotoGP

Trandyd, motoracer1100 and britx303 like this.