1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

was kicking around the idea of a new r1, then...

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Aug 30, 2020.

1. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Correct sir.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Dealership's are BOOOOMMMMMING right now......my local Honda dealer almost trippled their annual unit sales in June.

Shop around, you'll find a dealer who isn't gouging.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

When you cant replace the inventory you sell, you have no choice but to make what you can on what you have on the ground. Otherwise, you go out of business.

4. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Can someone reconcile the sudden interest? I thought sales were declining steadily, dealers were hurting, people weren't buying new bikes, development cycles had lengthened dramatically from what they were 20 years ago, and millennials only bought old kick start hondas. So in the middle of a failing economy who are all the people coming out of the woodwork to buy $15k toys?

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

1) The people who WERE getting an extra $600 a month and were tired of little Janie and Johnny bugging them inside, so they bought dirtbikes to get them out of the house.

or

2) The people who are now working at home and have more free time because instead of being stuck in an office for 8-9 hours a day, are doing there 3 hours of office work in 3 hours and relaxing the remaining 5-6 hours. This leads to thoughts of the open road and increased bike sales after seeing Flo and Jamie on the Progressive commercials.

bleacht and Rebel635 like this.
  6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I've also seen a whole lot of urban travelers turn into campers this year. Assume some of the more rural raised are buying toys to go with the new (old) family vacation.

7. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Ahh. There are some very reasonable dealers on the East coast. Millers in PA, Romney in WV, Village Motorsports Unionville VA to name a few

8. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I get that. RV sales and dirtbikes, new and used, have gone crazy. But we're talking new bikes the price of a toyota corolla that require an endorsement. Not just a renewed interest, but dealers not being able to keep them in stock and finding customers willing to pay an outrageous markup on top of a 5 figure sticker. That seems like an unusual spike in demand.

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

All the buying is coming from PPP money. Lots of businesses that had zero negative impact got huge PPP checks. Billions in free money means lots of toys being bought

motion likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My local dealership has TWO R1 Ms in stock right now. A 2019 and a 2020 I believe. $28k (CAD)

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

People can't travel for vacation, can't stand sitting around any more and can't stand each other anymore. Dirty bikes are cheap, you can get to a riding area in a few hours and you can have fun and start to enjoy each other's presence again after some kicking dirt.

I see a major shift back to shit like that for a few years.

I wonder if Suzuki brought back the Jimny as an off road only side by side how well it'd sell. Shit, if they brought it back and it was street legal and cheap, I might consider one.