1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

was kicking around the idea of a new r1, then...

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Aug 30, 2020.

1. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i started looking at prices, ok...then i called and it seems dealers charge 3k+ for set up and fees etc!!! is that normal?? they dont seem to wanna budge on them either. first time ever looking at a new bike so was a bit put off by this.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$3K set up? They doing the forks with AKs, valving the rear shock and safety wiring the bike WERA spec?

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Interested in previous year(s) leftovers? I've been looking at 2018 GSXR 1000Rs. Saw some as low as $10.7-11.2k a month ago. Was waiting for prices to fall just a bit more, but instead they've gone back up.

Circacee likes this.
  4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

There is a dealership in Virginia that had brand new 2018 left over gsxr out the door for 9800 bucks. Let me find the ad.

5. lopitt85

Please do! Thanks in advance

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Contact Ultimate Cycle in Virginia.

I have the emails back and forth from them from where I spoke to them in December about some left overs 2018 gsxr1000s.

I guess I should more specific. Couple months ago is more accurate.

7. lopitt85

I'll reach out tomorrow, thx.

8. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

exactly!

9. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I went on Cycletrader and spammed about 20 dealers at once, fees ranged from $595 to $2k. This was before COVID too, so some dealers might have gotten more greedy with the uptick in sales.

10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I ran into this 2 years ago looking for my fs450.
    All the dealers advertising MSRP, cool... Call them and as otd price and it's 3-4k more. Making a 10k bike $13,000+
    I finally found a dealership in Connecticut selling for a reasonable price and paid $10,400 delivered to my house. So definitely shop around

11. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Doesnt Yamaha PAY the dealers to set the damn bikes up?

12. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

socal

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Just spent a few minutes poking around on the intragores and it looks like no/ next to no new R1s around here. GSXRs and some Ducatis but that seems like it for big bore bikes. :confused:

Harleys out the ying yang if that's your thing.

15. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

always wondered how harley kept making bikes with all the ones for sale from private hands. also did these people buy more than the could pay for?

16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I'm sure a fair amount get wrecked on a regular basis....

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Motorcycles are flying off the shelf right now with Covid, so there may be some dealerships that are bumping up their fees in a bit of a opportunistic manor.
    It's kind of shitty on their part.

18. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

It's capitolism. Works both ways for both sides equitably. Just depends on which side you are on as to how it's perceived.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

OH I get all that, but I still feel like the dealers could be somewhat reasonable about it...they still make their money. I know my local dealer sold 450 bikes in May and June combined. They never sold volume like that before ever, and they didn't get prickly about their fees. Still made a killing.

20. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Capitolism only applies in Washington, D.C. Here in Virginia, it's capitalism.