1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

A build like that deserves better photos. :D

2. socal

socal Well-Known Member

20200823_155443.jpeg 20200822_153409.jpeg

RichB and DWhyte91 like this.
  3. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I don't want to shit on your build, but although that thing might be super lightweight, it's just not going to go very far without cranks, pedals, handlebars, etc. The seat also looks super uncomfortable (or super comfortable if you're into that sort of thing).

4. Greenhound386

I've got a Specialized Tarmac Pro SL7 delivering on Tuesday. Do these things come with everything needed to get them together (mineral fluid, carbon seat post paste, etc.)?

Being delivered straight from the factory. Debating if i should tackle assembly myself or just take it to a dealer. Last thing I wanna do is ham-fist a fastener and strip something on a bicycle that costs more than some motorcycles.

Suzuka_joe, racerx13 and cajun636 like this.
  5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Colnago C-40, carbon fiber frame, steel fork. Size-60 (actually TT 58 ctc, ST 58ctc)
    Factory Art-Deco paint job
    Campagnolo Record 9speed drive train & brakes
    Chris King headset
    Quill, Ritchey Stem, Ritchey bars
    Selle Italia seat
    Mavic CXP-30 rims with 32 hole Campagnolo Record hubs.
    Vittoria Tires

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 9.33.08 PM.png

Jed, Wingnut, socal and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

If you've done all the above and it still has a creak in it, as @Cannoli said, start at the outside and work your way in.
    Tighten the pedals. Then tighten the chainring bolts. Then tighten the cranks.
    Then tighten the front deraileuer. Then tighten the rear deraileuer.
    Then make sure the cogset or casette is on tight.
    Then do the rear quick release. Then do the front quick release.
    Now double check your headset - See if there is ANY play.
    Check your stem connection to your fork.
    Check your stem connection to your handlebars
    Check your shifters/brakes to your handlebars.
    Check your seatpost to the frame. (This one would be a prime suspect for me)
    Check your seat to your seatpost. (This one would be a prime suspect for me)

The other thing that may be happening, is that the frame is actually flexing under the strain.
    I don't know your size/weight, but you may be causing the frame to rock.
    The other thing is that if you have a lower cadence (80 pedal strokes/min) but higher power per stroke, compared with 100 pedal strokes/min and lower power per stroke, you may be torquing the frame/seat/BB triangle.

Hopefully it's not as bad as chasing ghosts in the Italian Electrics in my '79 Vespa.

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

You should have that stuff for spares anyway really.

I’m super picky with my stuff and would rather build my own than have a shop do it. I had a shop cut down my steer tube and they pried my new ultralight spacers off with a screwdriver leaving gouges in them when all you have to do is pull down on the fork a little.

And congrats on the new bike!

cajun636 likes this.
  8. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I stripped it to the bare frame. Stem, seat post, fork, Both derailleurs, all of it removed. The only thing I didn’t pull apart in the last effort was the rear wheel/cogs. And still a creak. I do feel the frame flex a little when I pedal harder and that’s what got me to thinking I’ve got an out of spec bottom bracket area. Also the new BB mates on the outer surface of the BB whereas the old one did not. So I still need to face the BB surfaces and maybe try a different rear wheel. But I’ve just been riding the Canyon and enjoying that for now.

Jedb likes this.
  9. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Cervelo R3 2014
    Di2 Ultegra
    Reynolds Carbon Wheels
    probably too much bike for me but it makes climbing easy when we go ride around the lake.

[​IMG]

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

After a year of being laid up due to a crazy accident and injury, I finally finished up my, all used part build. She’s gonna be fast when I can put some power out! 5B946729-8A7C-4909-906E-7AA0EEFE4702.jpeg

Newyork, cajun636, socal and 2 others like this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Love the sprint.

TakeItApart likes this.
  12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I got into the 'road' world this past year. Started out with a used Checkpoint SL5 (with SL6 components) from the local bike shop. Got into it on a series of group rides and flipped up into the Checkpoint SL7. Mainly better wheels, 1x12-speed Eagle and the electronic shifting (nice, but not world changing IMO).

I wasn't sure if I'd like the genre at first, as I'm not a fan of riding on the roads, but around here there is plenty of gravel and a bunch of places to get away from any traffic. The mileage definitely helps the single track riding on the MTB.

Attached Files:

cajun636 likes this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

The brakes arent pre bled? That can be a PIA. You wont really need the carbon paste til you final fit the bike.
    Some brands require an authorized shop to assemble for warranty purposes. Having a relationship with an LBS isnt a bad thing.

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

This is a GREAT thing. And, if you have more than one, find the one you like best. Keep them supplied in quality beer - whatever they like. You will reap the rewards.

Cheers,

Dave

15. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Specialized claim on the warranty paperwork that it must be assembled by an authorized dealer for the warranty to be valid. I’m not sure if you need the invoice from assembly to claim a frame warranty but I paid $65 For my SL5 frameset build up just in case. I would have gladly done it myself, but $65-$100 isn’t a bad price either. Hell, it’s cheaper than my labor rate! :D

16. Greenhound386

Yea. I got scared. Got the bike today. Looked in the box. Saw wires coming out of the seat post and stem, and I said 'Nope'!

Dropped it off at a Specialized dealer, and they'll get it dialed for $100. That includes updating the firmware on the shifters (Di2), and they'll do a basic fit. Their normal service is booked through October, but they have a builder than can get to my bike next week. Money well spent. I probably would have figured it out, but it would have been stressful and taken me forever, and I definitely don't want to deal with voiding a warranty.

TurboBlew, Suzuka_joe and TakeItApart like this.
  17. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

13x.jpg
    Not mine - just cool. Daytona 2006 or so

TurboBlew and TakeItApart like this.
  18. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Good idea! You’ll likely find that the LBS techs love building up new bikes.

19. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I will own a penny-farthing some day!

David-imoddavid likes this.
  20. Greenhound386

They were excited to see the specific bike I brought in. They hadn't seen the new Tarmac SL7 Pro in red tint in person, and they opened the box on the spot to check it out.

I'll get my hands dirty with some of my own maintenance, but this is my first fairly expensive bike, and I didn't want to screw it up right outta the gate!