1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop camera blocker

Discussion in 'General' started by Hotfoot, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Pipe down sheep boy. :D

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Those are taken care of. :crackup:

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Band-aid

4. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I laughed at this one, that's a great idea and I'm sure would work like a charm for a home computer... but this one's in my office and very visible so I need something a little less obvious and a little more professional looking. ;) If I were a doctor, though, I would definitely do that.

5. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Fuck. Your alls dashes must look like a freaking Christmas tree....

6. Hotfoot

So true and he will really get a kick out of making it for me.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Disable built in cam in Windows (also check BIOS settings); then glue something over the lens with SuperGlue.

Buy the cheapest USB camera you can find; hopefully with a resolution of 640x480.

Use the USB cam when a cam is needed. Otherwise, you are OK.

Hotfoot and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  8. Hotfoot

That's a good idea, too. The built-in one in the laptop is a little difficult to position properly, since I normally use an external monitor. I could get one that will mount on the external monitor, that has a cover that flips up or down. Good thinking on the poor resolution, that should help discourage people from wanting me to have video on.

Here's the best part about the Zoom meetings for me right now - in my office building there are security bars on the windows. I have my camera positioned so that you can clearly see the window behind me, which not only makes it hard to see my face (because of the bright background) but also makes it look like I am in a prison, or a mental ward. :)

969 and scottn like this.
  9. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm telling you. One piece of scotch tape does a damn good job. It's hardly even noticeable and you probably have a roll on your desk.

Here's what it looks like on my laptop and through my camera:

upload_2020-8-24_16-32-16.png

Phl218 likes this.
  10. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

I use a tab from one of my hearing aid batteries.

11. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I use the round sticker dots that are for sticking over holes on a target at the range.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I work for a government agency, and after several years of people asking for better laptops, we’re all magically getting new laptops with built in webcams now.

they promise it’s not to spy on us at home. Uh huh.

that said, masking tape has worked well, and my direct supervisor (who was hired in April, and i have never actually met) called to tell me that the folks in my position are the least of his worries, and just asked for my cell number so he can find me if i step away to put kids on the bus, etc.

I like this guy.

13. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Post it note, cut down to maybe an inch wide. No goo. Peels off. Can close the laptop fine.