1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spare trailer tire with weight distro hitch

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Aug 18, 2020.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i used to have my spare trailer tire on the front frame of my 6x12 v-nose enclosed trailer on the side.

now that i installed a weight distribution hitch, it took up the space i had up front.

what are you guys doing to mount a spare tire on the outside for trailers with weight distribution hitches?
    i'm trying to find something that can mount on the inside of the frame and hang by the "v" of the nose.

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Truck bed.

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Copy a hanger style setup like they have on RV's and bolt it to the underside of the trailer frame. Out of direct sun and takes up no space. And if you have to change a tire, your hands are getting dirty anyways...not a big deal to lay on your back for a minute to retrieve the tire.

4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Soccer Mom Towing
    i have an SUV :)

5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Throw it on the roof rack like Aunt Edna

10-15, TurboBlew and alan like this.
  6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

:stupid: This would be my choice

7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Why are you using a WD hitch with a 6x12? Are you towing it with a barbie jeep?

StaccatoFan likes this.
  8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

SUV, and the back sags a good amount.
    a WD hitch is good anyways for long trips

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id recommend hanging them on the inside V wall. You should have a pair actually. :)

Ive seen landscapers with a spare mounted on the ext sidewall but thst may require the wall to be braced at the mounting point.

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

Definitely recommend storing the spare in a way that it is protected from sunlight.

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

You should look into something like this to take care of the sagging. Extremely effective and affordable. I put some on my 2013 Ram 1500 and the towing is so much nicer. Steers and handles better because the ass end isn't squatting. When I hit big dips, even at highway speeds, the ass end isn't bouncing like a basketball anymore. Single best investment I've made for towing. When not towing I lower the pressure to 5 psi. Have it set to about 30 psi to get the truck back to stock ride-height with fully loaded 7x12 enclosed teailer.

Screenshot_20200819-220929_Chrome.jpg

12. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've had a tire cover over it, since i've had the trailer.

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

planning to do bags on my next tow vehicle. my SUV has a lot of electronics and even in the suspension. i really dont want to mess with it. the WD hitch did the trick for making it a better ride while towing. the bags just keep the back of the car from sagging. it's best to do both, but i have plans to get a dedicated tow vehicle in a few years that will have bags in the back

15. This. Has a lot to do with stability and IMO the most overlooked as well.

16. Numlock

Numlock Well-Known Member

This is how mine came mounted on my small toy hauler and it’s probably what I would do if it didn’t.

17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've been looking at it, and i dont think my fat ass could even fit under my trailer to install or access a tire under there.

18. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

i actually just ordered a set for my truck as well the hensley hitch make a huge difference pulling my work and play but my ram is squating like crazy.

19. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I have a single spare for my 16ft dual axle trailer. What is the thinking behind having two spares? I’ve never had a flat on the trailer while on the road. Does more than one tire usually go flat at the same time? I guess I could see if you hit something.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on a dual axle Id keep 4 spares. Carry more than you need.
    Ive never had a trailer tire blow either then I let some dumbass drive my moho who couldnt keep the rig & trailer inside the painted lines. Guess which tires let go? Passenger side. Thankfully I had 2 trailer spares and 22.5 tire for the rig.