1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Rider Bike Suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by UGAR-6, Aug 10, 2020.

?

Which Bike For New Rider?

1. 2007 ZX14 with extended swing arm: 15,500 miles

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. 2016 FZ6R with 15,200 miles

31 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Well obviously she’s going to have a straight pipe on this zx14 because loud pipes save lives and therefore she won’t have to worry about grandma turning left in front of her!

DmanSlam likes this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

What's a wrecked ZX 14 go for these days. I might have a lead on one soon

DmanSlam and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

I have been into mountain bike racing since I was a teenager. It might have given me some leg up on adapting to a motorcycle . At the minimum I think it taught me the feeling of being in over your head and learning to check your ego at the door. I don't think I wold ever recommend a 600 for a new rider, but I think it's possible if you have the right temperament.

Yeah I agree about MSF instructors. I'm not one for the patience either lol

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

My GSXR750 was brought from someone that bought it after completing MSF. Binned it in the neighborhood and his wife and kid would cry anytime he thought about going back out (probably saved his life but it is a long amusing story). It had 25 miles on it when I got it at a nice discount. His choice was a few hundred a mile. An alternate outcome, glad yours turned out otherwise.

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

The girl in question is clearly an idio and since neither of the bikes is a good choice, I am afraid she will need to be on her own for this. I highly doubt that any reasonable suggestion will get any consideration from her. I feel sorry for her family as they will probably be dealing with an injury or worse.

6. UGAR-6

UGAR-6 Well-Known Member

I'm the OP and I am very serious. These are the two choices that she showed her father I said the same, preferably neither but the ZX14, HELL NO. He told her I said that I was worried I'd be seeing her in the hospital or funeral home soon if she got that. I've offered my services for consultation and help learning if she was willing but at the end of the day, she is an adult and responsible for her own decisions. That being said, I won't help her on the ZX14. That may be jackass of me but I want nothing to do with what I fell would be a death wish except advise her not to do it and suggest good gear. I advised him to ask her the same, can she pick it up if dropped?

7. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

I don't think the "can you pick it up?" argument is valid. You don't want people struggling to pick up their bikes, especially in the first few adrenaline-filled moments after a drop. I do get that question occasionally from people (especially women) in the class. I tell them, "Do the same thing I do. I stand around and look pretty until some nice man stops and helps me."

8. G 97

G 97 Garth

There is a very good technique for picking up a bike. It’s not as hard as one would think. I’ve seen some petite girls pick up some pretty big and heavy Harley’s. The reality is more than likely someone will be around to help anyway, so.

sheepofblue likes this.
  9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

LOL. Out of left field, man. Hilarious!

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

That skill is is the only thing of value I've ever seen come out of a Harley dealership

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

one thing hilarious about stretched bikes... you can light the rear tire up like nobodies business. 2 or 3rd gear around 40mph you can drop the hammer and feed some speed to the 14 and imitate Gary Rothwell. :)