1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2020 | Round 4 | Austria | Red Bull Ring | Aug 14-16

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

"Le Big Mac"

2. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

What’s your opinion on Petrucci generally? I think he’s probably as skilled as any of the non-Marc top guys, but his general size pushes him out of the performance envelope that would make him a true front runner

I still think Quartararo is going to take the ‘ship. He needs to learn to get a decent result on bad weekends though. That’s what separates Marc from Dovi. In the current era, if you want the ‘ship a bad day has to be 2nd-3rd place and your absolute worst day 4th-5th. Win-8th-win-7th gets you perennial bridesmaid status.

These coming races will tell us whether Qboy is a challenger or pretender. He doesn’t necessarily have to win all of them to show the field it’s his championship, but he always has to end the race at the pointy end.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

non, c'est Hamburger avec fromage

4. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

With freedom fries of course. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  5. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

When this track was first added to the calendar there was major discussion/hesitation concerning running in the wet. Braking leaned over from extreme speeds for turn 3 is a major issue. The runoff in that area is VERY small.

Quicktoy likes this.
  6. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

See pic

Attached Files:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why is an arrow pointing where the bikes are going with the barrier?

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

It’s a complex area, as the bikes are leaned over to the left at full speed for T2, with riders having to get on the brakes with the bikes not straight up and down. A lack of grip because of rain could cause an issue, compounded with a lack of deep runoff (this was the general feeling by some riders and team managers). I’ll try to find a video pic.

Quicktoy likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I get where the line is based on the pic, just not seeing how they'd be under braking while aimed at the gravel on the right hand side, especially in the rain going slower than usual. Even if you crash where you're apexing the kink prior to that you'll be sliding a long long way before any impact because of the direction you're headed.

Quicktoy likes this.
  10. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure they already had a wet practice session there. I think it was 2018, maybe 2017.

Quicktoy likes this.
  11. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

These pictures show the issues at that corner.

Attached Files:

Quicktoy likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know, he's a bit of an enigma to me. But I wouldn't put too natural talent on par with a Quartararo.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I like Danilo but I bet he only has 1 maybe 2 more years in GP. He could be a beast on a WSBK.

cpettit likes this.
  14. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Agreed. Hard to pin down.

His Mugello win will always be a high-point and he certainly seems like one of more personable blokes on the grid, but otherwise doesn't seem to stand out......

BigBird likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

The bike under Zarco won last year and has the most data for the ducs.

Quicktoy likes this.
  16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Crutchlow saying lots of riders are very concerned about racing there in the wet, saying there is no grip in the wet and not enough run off.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

May not have the top speed, and Same thing was said last year and they finished 3-5. Without MM93 and rusty Dovi, I wouldn't count them out (at least not Petronas)

[​IMG]

Quicktoy likes this.
  18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I just watched the press conference. Some of the guys are talking about being nervous a little there in the wet. Binder is like I can’t wait to try rain tires more. I Love this kid lol.

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  19. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If it rains I got Binder. Unless of course he chucks it, but he's got zero fucks to give, and rides that way. Reminds me of Miller, before he became a fancy pants factory guy......:) Just kidding, I still like Miller, I just think he and his riding, has matured a bit from a few years ago. Which is a good thing.

Quicktoy likes this.
  20. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I like Petrucci, especially when he pulled a Zarco, turn 1 last lap in Mugello last year...l