1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Rider Bike Suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by UGAR-6, Aug 10, 2020.

?

Which Bike For New Rider?

1. 2007 ZX14 with extended swing arm: 15,500 miles

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. 2016 FZ6R with 15,200 miles

31 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had a few beers one night (a few months back) and went looking on the intragores for an OG one. Never owned one, they are stupid and only a lunatic would want one.

and really, a first time rider considering a stock ZX14 much less an extended swingarm one? No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I thought this was her the first bike nite she attended??
    [​IMG]

3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Look close at the 14, does it have both front calipers and rotors? Gotta save weight on the pesky unimportant things you know. There are some really janky swingarms out there too, that crowd is often more concerned with looks than proper engineering.

I bought too much bike for my first bike because I was more concerned with looking cool, I wrecked pretty good in a week.

FZ6 no doubt

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Well but remember that you’ll go over the handlebars if you use the front brakes, so removing a caliper and rotor from the front will help limit how far you’ll fly over said handlebars if you grab them by mistake in a panic situation

GixxerJohn011 and TurboBlew like this.
  5. TurboBlew

I heard a builder/tuner that rhymes with Crock has a 30 min vid on how to disble powerful disc brakes!! :)

6. ZX 14 is tough enough to handle without a swing arm extension and as said above it’s obvious either she’s being advised by idiots or there is another motive. It’s one of the last possible choices for a bike for 99% of the riders, especially if you aren’t using it for its purpose of drag and “cough” street racing. Makes them handle like crap and wait until the first time she gets into a corner and can’t turn the heavy pig. Disaster waiting to happen and chances are it will happen.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'd say neither, even though she doesn't want to hear it. I just bought my wife a Ninja 400 to learn on and its perfect. Light, nimble, slipper clutch helps learning to shift, abs...

I started on a GSXR 750, so its doable without carnage, but even that wasnt a stretched ZX14. No way!

9. lookmtb

lookmtb Active Member

I started on a gsxr-600, and at the time I was dead set on a 600. But I bought it and then didn't even touch it until I completed a riding course. Then I didn't leave my neighborhood for a week riding 25mph. I took it slow and cautiously and treated it with respect, and fortunately I didn't crash the bike until years later when I started going to the track. All that said I think a zx-14 is an insane choice. Nothing is impossible and maybe she'll be okay, but a bike with that much power will get you into trouble VERY fast!

10. TurboBlew

this is something thats a foreign concept to me. Your first bike was a 600cc sportbike?? What did you do for fun prior to lusting after a 600? No bicycles, dirtbikes or mopeds??
    Dont get me wrong here... I see MSF instructors as angels because I sure dont have the patience to train people that havent decided if they like motorcycles or not.
    I did show my son some techniques about aggressive starts & braking but that was on 100cc dirtbikes and we used to ride quads when he was younger. He was the youngest in his MSF class and has a valid motorcycle endorsement but he just doesn't like motorbikes as a hobby.
    Getting to a track is the best thing you could have done.

11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Troll Alert!!!!

take this shit to gsxr dot com

lookmtb likes this.
  12. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Seriously no Busa option?

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Seriously? No one has made any comments in regards to this poll being stoopid from the get go.

Oh wait, several peeps did. Cary on......

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Those are all clapped out

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

and they lived happily ever after o_O

16. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Also remember that head-on collisions with immovable objects further limit how far you'll fly over the handlebars too. Having front brakes to slow down would not fully use the available crumple zone before impact, and increase the flying distance. Think about it. :)

17. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though the OP might be serious, we all know the options are not smart choices.

What type of riding gear is this young lady considering? Hopefully not a n@zi helmut (pun) or turtle shell.

18. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I can't wrap my head around how these are the two choices, are they both free, or something? Aren't there any small dual sports or Ninja 250's or 300's around? Why would she be interested in bikes with such high mileage and weird sh*t like an extended swingarm...?

19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am going to be hated for this but hell no and no on the survey. My advice is always this: Take MSF, buy a used Rebel 250 and ride it for a year then sell it for close to what you have in it. This will give her a year to build muscle memory on something slower and more forgiving. It will also be cheaper to insure and fix when it tips over (common for someone new). Then after the year buy whatever and enjoy. Oh and safety gear should be on anytime the bike is running, no exceptions. Again it is a habit thing, as once you start saying 'but I am only....' you are welcoming disaster into your life. I have folks I know who wore gear, were good riders and got seriously hurt in no helmet law states 'just running to the corner store'.

Good luck I doubt she will listen but every good habit you can get her to take up could be one that saves her hide on day.

83BSA and Wingnut like this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

My first time on two wheels with a motor was my 2008 650R. Promptly looped the shit out of it.

TurboBlew likes this.