1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home generators? Teach me

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Aug 7, 2020.

1. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

2. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

48Kw!!! What are you doing in there, mining Bitcoin???

3. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

A storm came through and it took us a few days to restore power. One of the last jobs I went to they home owner had a generator running. I needed to climb the pole to make repairs, so I asked them to shut the generator off while I did the work. They did. I energized the transformer, then hopped in my truck and drove up to the house to check for power. When I got up to the garage the generator was just sitting there, grinding away with a locked rotor. They shut it off, but didn't unplug it, and closed in their main breaker.

I let them know their set-up was not legal, and they probably need a new generator. :D

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Assholes with a suicide cord. Or homicide, more like.

beac83 and burnham like this.
  5. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

With the drop in power using propane, we wanted to make sure we could power the property. This usually happens when I’m gone and I really didn’t want the wife sitting in the dark....

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Keeping her happy is worth it. As is not having to explain which breaker to turn off and what won't be working when on the genset and so on.

7. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

Bueller

8. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

4 days of no power or internet after Zeta whacked us in Alabama... thank god for the whole house generator.

t11ravis likes this.
  9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I didn't bother to pull out the big one. The little Eu2200i was more than enough to run the fridge, a few lights, cell chargers and run the living room media setup. It got cool and less humid the first evening so we didn't need any A/C. We were down for 48 hours.

10. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Drop in power for propane? - When I was generator shopping all the power output ratings were for LP fuel, and the NG power output ratings were lower.

Generac still says that on their spec sheets. Scroll down to page 4 for the numbers.

https://www.generac.com/generaccorp...7036/generac-spec-sheet-20-24kw-english_3.pdf

11. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I'm going to be getting a quote for a generator, but I'm curious how much the above will cost in comparison.

12. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Around here a 22kw system is about $7000 installed. That does not include your propane tank or having NG run to your home. About $1000 less for a 16kw system

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

82 or 83 hours for us, older EU2000, went through less than 4 gallons of fuel of which 2 were varnish out the mule tank and never missed a beat. Just did fridge and chargers for the ipads/phones and coffee in the morning. I did shut it down at night for the 5 or 6 hours I slept but ran the entire time other than that.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

They sure do make it a non-event. I pulled the fuel out of the big one. It was pretty stale. Probably not the worst thing that could happen is needing to pull one out and use it. If for no other reason than to cycle the fuel out of them.

I leave the little one dry during storage but the big one always has fuel in it. I figure that gives me a 50/50 shot at one of them working when needed without taking a carb off for cleaning.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I flip the fuel on/off on the 2k and so far it's started after a few pulls no matter how long it sat. Gotta love it.

Anyone running a parallel kit that is set up to be 50amp/240v?