1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MiniGP National Sprints at DMVMiniGP Hanover MD, Aug 15, 2020

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by StaccatoFan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

https://www.dmvminigp.com/

Sat. Aug 15th United Karting United Karting Raceway Sprint Race #6 - MiniNationals Race #4

We will be there. Alex is racing.

2. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Say an old guy wanted to get a minimoto and get some track time with it. How often is the track open to minis at United Karting? And how much is it? Thanks,
    Jim

3. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

Right now they have open practice days pretty much every Friday through Sunday, unless there are scheduled kart or moto races.

With a $99 DMVMiniGP club membership practice days are $40, without a membership I believe they are just over $50.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  4. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks.

5. StaccatoFan

Yeah...what the Toadmeister said!

6. tett

tett Well-Known Member

By chance would either of you know of an already setup mini for sale? I'm cheap, so Honda 100 perhaps? I'm in Richmond, VA.

7. StaccatoFan

At this time, I do not. Sorry.

8. Toadmeister00

I don't know of anything local, either.

XR/CRF100, TTR125LE, DRZ125L and '03-'06 KLX125L (identical to the DRZ125L) are all viable candidates and basically just a tire swap away from being track ready on a budget.

9. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking... does a 150f work, or is the 100 the better route? There's a 150f not too far from me, but if the 100 is better, I can find one. They're bound to be everywhere. And... do folks run the 100 with the stock front rim? I see a lot of swapping to the 80-16", just wondering if folks use stock size also. Thanks for bearing with me.

10. Toadmeister00

It all depends on what your plans are. If you want to ride the open practice days and don't have any plans to go racing, a 150F is a fine choice. I always lean towards recommending the Stock 100 class bikes because that is the least expensive way to get on track and still have a competitive bike if one wants race at some point.

Leaving the 19" front wheel on is fine just to get on track. A 16" wheel is better, but the 19" is okay to get you started.

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Todd

related question - is it easiest to just find a 19” hub and lace it to a 16” rim or find one already done? What wheels interchange from other bikes?

this is regarding the KLX140 Front rim.

thanks!

12. Toadmeister00

I have ZERO knowledge on the newer KLX140/150 bikes. If the spoke count is the same front and rear, you could just lace up a 16" rear hoop to your front hub.

13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

ten four, this is a 2012 (last year for carb I believe) if that makes any difference.

14. Toadmeister00

It looks like the front and rear are both 28 spoke, so using a rear hoop up front should be doable. I don't know if the rear spokes would work up front, or if you'd need some kind of custom set. Defintely easier to just throw a 19" BT45 on it and rip it!

RRP likes this.
  15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yep! I’m gonna get this bike secured shortly and then order up the BT45s.

16. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Re: racing today... how was everything today with the weather up there?

17. StaccatoFan

Just got home....there were some sprinkles now and again..but the rain held out, and all the races got run today.
    Heaviest drizzle was tonight when they were handing out the awards.

18. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Excellent.

19. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

Can you see this from approaching bwi? I saw a mini track on Friday when I flew in

20. StaccatoFan

Yes...the approach to the runway is pretty much directly over head.

Nobody's complaining about the mini motorcycle or go kart noise there....the jet engines overhead cancel that sound completely.