1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on trailer tires

Discussion in 'General' started by L8 Braker, Aug 6, 2020.

1. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

I have an enclosed, single axle 5x8 riding on 205/75 R15s. I tow one, sometimes two bikes at a time plus gear. It’s ’s time for new tires and I’m looking for suggestions. Like maybe switch to auto tires? Buy another set of trailer tires? All replies are appreciated.

2. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Maxxis. I just put a new set on my tandem axle enclosed. The first set lasted almost 15 years!

evakat, ducnut and TLR67 like this.
  3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Get the highest speed rating. We all speed with our trailers attached.

duc995 and TLR67 like this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I am due for 4 soon... where did you get yours? Any type of Max is would help as well...thanks..

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

For a light weight trailer like that almost anything will do. I've had good experience with Maxxis from Tire Direct.

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Something that small and light, I would pick up the wheel/tire combo from your local supplier. I've got an enclosed 7x12 that I put some on from Northern Tool in the load range I wanted. Simple, easy, inexpensive and effective.

7. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

These? 0E6B8F80-00C7-4DD4-AED5-20BD6533B9A8.jpeg

Ducti89, evakat, Killswitch and 2 others like this.
  8. MotoGP69

Yes, those are the ones. The originals were load range C (6 ply). The new ones are D (8 ply) but only because that’s all the local tire shop had on short notice.

9. MotoGP69

A local tire shop was able to get them out of their warehouse (I needed them that day), but I think Discount Tire Direct has them too.

10. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

What kind of speed rating are these good for I wonder? I’m looking to get some new tires for my trailer and want something that I can run 80mph without issue. This is a 6x12’ish hi point enclosed with 2 bikes so not very heavy at all. My trailer is supposed to be under 800lbs

11. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the difference is with auto tires vs trailer tires? Are trailer tires designed to be more heavy duty??

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20200806-185311_Chrome.jpg These are what I have on my 7x12 enclosed. Towed from Texas to Wisconsin, to Louisiana, back to WI. All over, no problems. They'd be more than enough for something as light as the OP's, no?

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I run the 10ply on errrrrrythang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ducnut likes this.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Maxxis 8008 are regularly touted as the best available.

I’ve run mine more than 40K miles. I have the 225/75-15, 10-ply, on my 7’X12’, but, had to add a spacer for the extra tire width.

I’d suggest their load range “D”, if you’re staying with the stock size. Make sure you have them change out the stems for the higher pressure-rated, metal stems. Also, make sure they spin-balance the tires.

Discount Tire is the best place to get them, as they have stores all over the country, should you have an issue on the road.

15. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Special trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, so they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.

16. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

GoodYear, Kenda or Maxxis are all at roughly the same price point.

- Couldn't find GoodYears in the size I wanted.
    - Had Kendas on my trailer for 15(?) years...never a problem with the tires themselves but I hit something on the road last year and one of the four broke a belt.
    - Replaced the Kendas with Maxxis and have no reservations about taking them fifteen years down the road without issue...other than people crying about how they should be replaced every 5 years or whatever. Pfft.

Spend around $100/tire, as opposed to $50, and I don't think you're gonna have any issues, regardless of brand.

18. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Never,ever, buy ST tires. Even when someone tells you they are “made for trailers.”
    Put LT’s on and hammer down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just put 4 new Maxxis 8008 D’s on this AM... all ready for 2021

Killswitch, ducnut and MotoGP69 like this.
  20. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You really need to adhere to the specifications listed for the tire. ST tires generally are only rated for 65mph, I don't know anyone that drive 65 on a highway, even the slow ones are doing at least that. Goodyear set out a bulletin to raise pressures 10psi on certain tires for traveling at faster speeds. Most tire failures are going to come down to overloaded, aged, or over sped tires.

One of the posts in this thread alludes to the reason people have issues with tires. The tread looks good but they are 15 years old. Trailer tires are good for about 5 years max in my opinion, maybe a little more if stored indoors. A LOT of failures I've seen are simply the tread delaminating from the carcass= old age failures.

For what replacing two tires that size every 5 years is worth any headaches you may have with a flat. And for anyone that doesn't have one, get a spare!

evakat and JBall like this.