1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beirut explosion......

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Aug 4, 2020.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

2. kangasj

kangasj Banned

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Saw a couple different videos showing the shock wave till it hit the people and they were filming the floor. Wow.

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

From what I read it had been confiscated from a ship and was being stored at one of the buildings. The white cloud was water vapor from the shock wave. Saw clips from multiple angles, just crazy.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

my girl said it broke window's in her family's town 20 miles away to the east. at first report I would have said bomb from Israeli fighter jet given that Hezbollah's been fucking with them a little more lately, but legit looks like its an accident and all accounts now and people from Beirut we know are all saying the same thing, which is nuts. looking like one of those 500 ton bombs or whatever that huge non-nuclear shit is that we use sometimes.

7. sdg

sdg *

MOAB fuel air. Bet this was bigger.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

There was a video of a plant fire where they manufactured the solid booster rockets for the space shuttle. Same spectacular effect.

That left a mark...

EDIT: I'm no explosion expert by any means but wouldn't such power require some kind of containment?

Meaning that it was a bomb (s) that exploded, not bulks of ammonium nitrate (?)....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Fox says current body count is 60....I'm sure it's going to go up as they go through the rubble.

10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Scott47 and L8RSK8R like this.
  11. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Probably stocking up to kill more Marines..like they they did in 83.

cyclocrossfool likes this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Fuck You 2020.

13. It may have been ignited by fireworks but that certainly wasn’t just fireworks to blow out windows 10km away plus. Unreal and a devastating tragedy.

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Holy shit!

9FF7536E-180C-40B2-A8CF-2C9894405726.jpeg

15. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

:eek:

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Often with particulates the primary explosion will trigger a much larger secondary explosion when that particulate becomes airborne. If you're over about 50 years old, the rash of grain silo explosions in the United States is a perfect example.. Don't know if that's what happened in Beirut, but it's my guess.

17. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fertilizer_Company_explosion

Don’t forget this one. Pretty rural so luckily not many killed, unfortunately most were fire fighters. A friend grew up there and parents are still there. His mom was looking out the window at the fire, dad realized what was going on and pulled her away from the window less than a minute before it went boom. Their house took enough damage that it had to be leveled, probably would’ve been bad news if she had stayed in front of the window.

18. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I read that as well. It was stored in an adjoining building to the fireworks factory and when that went up it spread to the ammonium nitrate building and boom.

It's wild that so many cameras caught that blast because they were filming the initial fire.

That death count is likely to be gruesome. Saw a video on Twitter with bodies scattered everywhere. Really gross.

code3ryder likes this.
  19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

2750 tons of ammonium nitrate is what the PM of Lebanon is saying right now. :eek:

To give that some context, OKC bombing was almost 2 1/2 tons of ammonium nitrate

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

That beyotch went boom. Am Nitrate isnt super powerful compared to a more modern explosive...but a few thousand ton will do whatever job you want.

It also isnt easy to set off. When we played with it in the Army we used TNT/C4/Etc to set it off. It take a pretty good jot to send it. Even many fires where it burns it wont explode...unless its contained.

too bad about all those people....:(