1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grom

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Low end power suffers, top end gain is minimal, noise is the only dramatic change.

DBConz likes this.
  2. Past Glory

Plus the added expenditures of increased maintenance and significantly higher fuel costs.

3. Maybe. But it’s still doable. :D

I run VPR in mine all the time. Even with the build, it still gets like 80+mpg or some shit. I only use it around town, so I can run down to Brian’s and pick up 6-8 cans and it will last a long time.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Loud Groms save lives.

TurboBlew and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Past Glory

I use the same reasoning to justify the race gas expense on mine.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Past Glory

You improperly spelled GROM.

Gorilla George and SuddenBraking like this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

All these top speed posts makes me think of the scene in Fast & Furious when the modded Supra races the Ferrari.

I’d love to see someone in a nice car look at the Grom at a red light and get dusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

those Grom(s) have a flatside on it...lol. Theres a couple stock cased 180cc Groms eclipsing 100mph.

9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

got my plate plate and took my new Grom on its first street ride. the -1/+3 gearing is nice, but it doesnt like to go over 50 MPH without sitting at red line.

so now i'm really considering the air intake, cam, and ECU flash.
    anyone have this done with similar gearing that can chime in? i want to add a little more top speed so i dont feel like i'm going to blow up the motor cruising at 50-55 MPH.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's a Honda, you'll be fine. I would just get the big bore kit if you want more speed.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

You could probably do 100 on one but why?

12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

those kits are like $1200+ i think. i'm not looking to make a rocket. just something that isnt screaming for help at 50-55 MPH.

13. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

The stock gearing is just fine for ~60. With the gearing you put in, you're getting exactly the effect I would expect.

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i
    it's what came with the bike that i picked up 3 weeks ago. i like the acceleration, but want a little more top speed.

15. wiggeywackyo

For reference, at ~140lb, I top out around 60, in a tuck, on flat ground. I can clutch wheelies in first under 10mph on all stock errytang. Geared with what you have, to get a higher top speed, you're going to lose the teeth on the rear and then add some power.

16. SuddenBraking

I can understand if someone is riding it downtown around a major-ish city where the speed limit is 25mph or something, but there's no effing way I'd ride something that topped out at 50mph on any road with a speed limit north of 30mph.

17. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

so my fat ass at 220 pounds is also going to impact top speed.

most of the roads around me are around 40 MPH speed limits, with flow of traffic going 45-50. i'd like to be able to cruise at 50 MPH, without hitting the red line.
    i do like the gearing that's on there, which is why i was thinking the cam & ECU flash might do the trick.

18. wiggeywackyo

Your fat ass won't affect the top speed but it will take you a long ass time to get there. More power (torque) is only going to get you to redline faster. You'll be geared out with the current gearing, even if you had 40HP.

Edit: My prescription, go back to stock gearing, then mod accordingly.

19. SuddenBraking

You need a 300 swap, bro. Just do it - Groms weren't made for American-sized men like me and you (240# over here). Adds 20 pounds of weight (grom engine is 50 pounds and NC51 engine is 70 pounds) and triples the horsepower with an additional 2 gears. Also way more reliable than a big bore kit.

20. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Just watched a few videos on the swap. Doesn’t look like a total PITA, but definitely a weekend job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk