1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17+ GSXR1kR vs. R1 (help in making a decision).

Discussion in 'General' started by JTRC51, Jul 31, 2020.

1. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Need some opinions on those of you who have ridden a current gen GSXR1000R (2017+) and a similar year R1 (15+). I am considering one of these bikes next (currently have an R6 and GSXR750). I'm looking on opinions on how they handle, how much setup is required to get them going good, ease of parts access and maint, how easy to work on, and overall riding experience in terms of how they feel, balance, ride etc.

I appreciate the opinions and help :)

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The Suzuki is easier to work on however there are fewer of them out there so parts are harder to come by. I searched for quite a while to get a spare set of wheels. I went with the Zuk due to the fact that I'm more comfortable "in" the Suzuki vs "on" the Yamaha. Since you own both brands, which one do you prefer? I'd go that way. Both are stupid fast, way beyond mere mortals.....

ducnut likes this.
  3. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Everyone has an R1, nobody has new gixxers. That should be your answer.

4. JTRC51

I remember feeling immediately more comfortable with the GSXR750, I recently sold it - My post should have read currently HAVE R6, HAD a GSXR750 - I regretted selling the 750 because it was just great all around. I started to build an R1 but sold it too. I LOVE my R6, it just handles so well and makes me happy all the time but it did take longer to adapt to that is for sure. I know that the new 1K's are different with all the electronics, power, etc. and I haven't spent any time on one to really be able to tell.

I see a good mix of both but considering the R1 has a 2yr head start on the GSXR should also add to why you see more..

5. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

2016+ ZX10R for the win!

LossPrev and track wagon like this.
  6. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

R1 turns better and gets out of turns better, so short straights and squirts it shines. Longer straights the Suzuki will eat the r1’s lunch. Summit main I can carry 10 more mph on my 18r1 and watch the new gsxr walk away from me.

JTRC51 likes this.
  7. JTRC51

I hear they turn like trucks and pwr comes on too aggressive .

I'll be doing tracks like Barber, Rd ATL, Tally, Jennings, CMP, etc.

Prefer a bike that turns well, changes directions well, stable, and good front end feel.

Love the new GSXR and the new R1..

8. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Tom,

Have you ridden the new Gsxr 1000?

tdelegram likes this.
  9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

BMW out? Plenty of power and plenty comfy.

10. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

JTRC51 likes this.
  11. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

I have owned both and let me know if you get the gsxr, I have several new parts never installed for it I will make you a deal on.... in other words, I sold it for a reason. Not even close to R1. But I was serious about the parts

12. tdelegram

Rode a 17, took much more bar pressure to turn than my r1 which made me uncomfortable as I didn’t want to rebuild it, I’ll cut you a great deal on 2 rc8’s Sloan!

Other complaint I hear about gsxr is the electronics. R1 each component, slide control, traction control, wheelie control, launch control can be individually adjusted, I heard some are linked on the gsxr, for instance TC and Wheelie are the share the same adjustment so allowing the rear to spin more also produces bigger wheelies. Not sure if this is the case but a friend complained to me about it.

13. SWest122

Interesting comparison.

There’s no way I’m buying an Australian motorcycle. It’s an island in the middle of nowhere. Parts must be hard to get.

14. tdelegram

Just go to Austria and turn left, you be there in no time.

15. SWest122

I don’t own a boat.

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it'll break long before you even get close to needing a boat. :eek:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  17. glass

glass Well-Known Member

and if it's cold out you can put on the handwarmers

ducnut likes this.
  18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

*Jeremy Clarkson voice* Yeeeeessss!!

19. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Have a 750, R1 and an S1000RR (popped the S1000RR engine last year) but haven’t ridden a 17 + gsxr 1000. Full Ohlins on all of them (25mm on the 750, forks on the BMW and 30mm in the R1).

The R1 handling crushes the BMW and I really notice no difference between the 750 and it (with the exception that you can ride the 750 longer because it doesn’t beat you up with decel and accel). Set up numbers are pretty well known by now so you really shouldn’t be chasing a set up, had a second set of wheels within a week off of ebay and any part I’ve needed, I’ve never had to search or wait for. Doing the first oil change this week so cant talk to that but holy shit do I hate the wheel set up compared to the BMW. Had Fast Frank machine the rear caliper holder to the chain adjusters and then added the wheel ramp and the rear wheel changes are MUCH better – still hate the front compared to the BMW but it’s essentially the same as the 750 and R6. Power deliver is like a twin down low in the rev range and then I4 as it builds – the electronics are spectacular. Since you have a r6, you don’t need to worry about the change in ergos. The only thing I didn’t like about the R1 were the brakes but I switched out the calipers and all is good now.

Speaking of twins - it may be that time to let the RC51 go and I promised you first crack at it if the day ever comes. . .but honestly, if I was counseling you as a friend, I'd tell you to get the R1 instead of it.. . .:D

ducnut likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The CP4 would seal the deal for me. Plenty of shops, like Superbike Unlimited, who know how to set them up to ride.