1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha GTS1000 thing with front SSSA

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I have a lead on one. Don't those things have like a crazy stupid following or am I mistaken?

For those that are curious, in the early 90's, yamaha made a bike with a front Single Sided Swing Arm. Looked cool other than the bike was a solid plastic piece like a goldwing only smaller.

Not something I want, but if i can snag it cheap, might be a good flip?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They were big, heavy, not attractive, heavy, slow and heavy. If I remember right, they sold horribly.

I'd think the people that actually want one already have one.

vizsladog and 418 like this.
  3. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

This was the first thing I thought of

Attached Files:

Stumpy likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Describes my ex-wife to a tee.

Sounds like you've met her. :D

5. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

that tells me more than I needed to know to decide against it.
    That and looking on Ebay, they aren't bringing much at all. So hard pass for me dawg.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How's the bidding on it going on the scambay? Maybe I'm wrong and people are finally discovering them.

Around here, if you have a vintage CB750, you can sell it in minutes at a premium. Used to be people would charge you to haul it away for scrap.

britx303 likes this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

How well did she sell?

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

saw one a few months ago... innovative considering the model year. Car sized rotors too. msrp was 13 something then... double most top tier sportbikes

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Not well. She's sitting gathering dust now. Probably won't run either because she's all gummed up from sitting with fuel in the lines, rusty chain, and brake fluid that looks like Crisco shortening.
    A few may have taken her for a test drive after I parked her, but they also realized the handling was shit and the saddle bags were worn out. Probably cannot even part her out.

MachineR1, spcassell, R Acree and 2 others like this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Dave, More on this please. Landlord has an original, clear title CB750 - maybe ‘73/74. Not running as it’s been sitting, but been stored inside.

It’s not a show bike, but it’s all there and would make a good platform for restoration I think.

11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Check out the SOHC web site for clues on how well they do.

12. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

My bro has a 74 CB750/4. Not running, not good condition but he would be interested in getting rid of it. More info on getting rid of it would be appreciated. Thanks

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Mark, Dude, the kids (20 something’s) are buying them and turning them into cafes, ujms (geared towards the sports side) and cool looking customized bikes. Soooo far from 100 point restorations.

I’d grab it if it was cheap enough.

14. 418

418 Expert #59

Rode one. Weird as shit. Was thoroughly disappointed.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I rode one when they were new. Pretty cool, and like most oddballs there's somewhat of a cult following. Failed mostly because it was WAY overpriced. Pretty sure it used the FZR1000 motor, which was a bit wheezy with that much bike to motivate. If it's fairly clean and the price is right, I'd go for it.

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I sold a moderately customized GS450 to a hipster dude a couple years ago for $4500. SV front end and rear wheel, painted the tank, welded in a rear hoop and made a custom single place seat. 470 kit in the motor. I had less than $1500 in it including purchase price, and this was after I raced it for years. I was shocked. Threw it on CL for (what I thought) was a stupid number and it was gone within a week.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup. FZR1000 with side plate frame to accommodate the front swingarm. Interestingly, they were radar stealthy.
    I'd cafe the thing...strip it to its bare essentials then throw on some bodywork. It's not like you can't get a ton of torque and power out of those engines. Knock off a hundred pounds and you have something without the Tessi price.

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

It is probably about like a CX650 Turbo, not many of them, a real turd that didn’t sell well but worth more than you’d think because of its oddity. JMO

19. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I remember seeing those in my subscription to Cycle World magazine when I was a kid. They we supposed to be the FUTURE of motorcycling.
    Weren't most of them burgundy in color? Like Ron.....

418 likes this.
  20. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Omega frame